What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sealing windows

Larkrv10

Hi all
I'd like to finish off the edge between my side windows and the canopy with some type of caulking. I've use Geoff Combs adhesive and have finished the cabin top with paint (no headliner). I'm tempted to just use black silicon, but there are other products like urethane and rubber butyl caulks.

What have other in this situation used?

Thx

Rick
Southampton, Ont

If you are referring to the gap on the outside of the window, most of that gap was filled with Lord adhesive when the windows were glued in place. I did add a bit of micro, then used two layers of fiberglass to cover the seams.

It did take a bit of work to add some micro and smooth these back into the contour of the cabin cover. Two years later and I don't have any cracking around my windows.

I know several builders that have done similar solutions as I did and none of us have any visible cracks.

Oops, sorry Bob, meant on the interior side.
Rick

I have a headliner, but I botched up cutting the window opening. For those reading, don't cut the headliner window opening until you finish the windows. The outer fiberglass layer I added changed the geometry of the window.

Since the molding around the window is black and the window adhesive made a good joint, I just used some flat black paint to get rid of all the pink spots. It's not perfect, but you almost have to be an inch or two away to see the difference.

Back