What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vlad ok?

Wow. I certainly hope he is OK. It looks as if that is him standing in on of the pics. If it is, that's a good sign he's alright.

Stumbled on this post and took close look at the Moab Times newspaper pic and for sure it looks like Vlad standing in front of plane with another person. Fed report stated 'no injuries' > that was a relief.

So sorry to see that Vlad had this misfortune and I hope that he's able to recover his well being and also get 666BK back in the air.

He was able to stop by an spend an evening and night with us a couple of years ago. Very much enjoyed meeting Vlad and hope i can see him again.

I always tried to follow his adventures via his posts.

It's Vlad:

"Although no injuries were reported in the landing of the Vans RV-9A, bearing tail number N666BK registered to Vladyslav Karpayev of New Jersey, residents said that the plane destroyed part of a fence adjacent to East Allen Road when the pilot tried to land near the north portion of the old airstrip.

After sheriff’s deputies responded, the pilot taxied his plane back to the runway and took off. His destination is unknown at this time. Before taking off, photos provided to The Times-Independent by witnesses showed clear damage to the wings of the airplane where it reportedly struck the fence."

Read more: Moab Times-Independent - Crash landing at Old Airport Pilot flies away after destroying fence"

http://www.moabtimes.com/view/full_...ort-Pilot-flies-away-after-destroying-fence-?

Last edited:
"The plane, which also operates on an FCC radar repeater of KC2TPD, has been referenced repeatedly in online amateur aviation blogs for drawing designs in the sky using radar cross-sections many miles in size.

Read more: Moab Times-Independent - Crash landing at Old Airport Pilot flies away after destroying fence"

So much to learn here - our APRS trackers are actually radar repeaters. Our RV's have a radar cross-section many miles in size - pretty un-stealthy if you ask me. Our primary returns from skin-paint primary are probably overloading the front ends of ATC radar receivers the word over.

...and here I thought the media sounded ignorant on firearms-related reporting... just, wow. :(

As to drawing designs in the sky - I shall refrain from reposting the by now familiar images of our naval aviators throwing down the gauntlet to the USMC.

Wings

A hammer and some Bondo, no problem, good to go. I track a 1964 Cherokee that is still active. It got the Bondo treatment when it was only a few months old. Bird strike. Bird was nesting about 2 feet below the top of a large tree.

Curious

Curious why this incident made the NTSB log. Seems like for experimental one can assign a damage amount to the plane to be less than the threshold for NTSB reporting. And I cant imagine property damage being that high from what I have unofficially heard.

Don't think that the NTSB regs make any distinction among the various kinds of aircraft certifications. For example, the Gulfstream G650 that was lost during flight test certification got the full NTSB investigation, to the benefit of the flight test community.

We're going to need some bigger X's

That abandoned airport where Vlad had his unfortunate adventure has been closed for decades but from google earth looks like a active strip.
They need to go out there and paint some white X's on the field. It doesn't even look like there are even any old faded X's . Someone in a emergency could easily mistake the place as a safe landing field.

That abandoned airport where Vlad had his unfortunate adventure has been closed for decades but from google earth looks like a active strip.
They need to go out there and paint some white X's on the field. It doesn't even look like there are even any old faded X's . Someone in a emergency could easily mistake the place as a safe landing field.

Is it not a safe landing field? X's or no, in an emergency some old cracked up has-been runway just barely long enough to result in taking out part of a fence and walking away unscathed would look like a godsend to me. In a nosedragger RV, that beats a random field 8 days of the week.

So happy to hear Vlad is all good and N666BK is still flying!

Could be the private strip?

Are we sure it was the old airport?
Right next to it, a few hundred feet away, is an active private airstrip that I have landed at a couple of times. I have talked to the owner many times and received permission. My last time there it was really starting to become overgrown.

That is too bad though. Glad he is OK.

Abandoned and little known airfields

There's some interesting info and photos and just about anything you ever wanted to know about this airport and the site of the now infamous " Vlad incident ". :D. It can be found at Abandoned & Little known airfields , Southeast Utah.
Grand County, Spanish Springs, Moab Ut.
Maybe someone with some expertise can add the hyperlink to this site but I'll be darned if I can accomplish it. Sorry . :eek:
Warning, the site mentioned can become addictive. :D

There's some interesting info and photos and just about anything you ever wanted to know about this airport and the site of the now infamous " Vlad incident ". :D. It can be found at Abandoned & Little known airfields , Southeast Utah.
Grand County, Spanish Springs, Moab Ut.
Maybe someone with some expertise can add the hyperlink to this site but I'll be darned if I can accomplish it. Sorry . :eek:
Warning, the site mentioned can become addictive. :D

Here you go. Grand County Airport.

Back