What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming O-320D2J crankshaft end play

Joe Jet

Page 7-16 and figure 7-24 of the Lycoming O/H manual says to check crankshaft end play, dimensions A and B, and the fix is to grind the oil slinger if it's not within. I wonder what the odds are of having to do that if I'm installing a new crankshaft and case on my overhaul. Thanks for any help from anyone that's been down that road, JJ.

End Play

Page 7-16 and figure 7-24 of the Lycoming O/H manual says to check crankshaft end play, dimensions A and B, and the fix is to grind the oil slinger if it's not within. I wonder what the odds are of having to do that if I'm installing a new crankshaft and case on my overhaul. Thanks for any help from anyone that's been down that road, JJ.

It does happen occasionally. If the crankshaft while in its most forward position doesn?t have the clearance between the slinger and case it make contact while running with a prop pulling on it. You?ll know if you have that problem as there will be an audible screeching sound and as the case nose heats up it will burn the paint off. It really is an important detail. Also the diagram in Lycoming?s OH manual on this reference is incorrect. The arrow points to the wrong spot and has become an inside joke among engine builders as it has been wrong for decades and yet Lycoming hasn?t caught it or doesn?t care.
This problem will most often happen with overhauled cases as sometimes material is removed in the case thrust area. It really doesn?t happen very often but pay attention to this seemingly small detail as it could bite you in the butt !

Back