What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing or Taxi light ?

pa38112

Well Known Member
I think I am going to replace my GE-PAR36 landing lights with the Whelen LED replacements. I have not decided if I should do one landing light and one taxi light, or two landing lights. What have others out there done, and what was your rational for it?
Each wing has it's own light switch. My current thinking is that I would put one of each in and use them both to land, but only one to taxi and that same light for collision avoidance. A lot of this is based on my incandescent experience. My last plane had only one light, and it was often burned out when I needed it for landing. I am trying to minimize the hours on the landing light; however with the life expectancy of LED's I guess I should just let it burn even when taxiing.
My real question is: does a taxi light make it that much easier to see while taxing, and is it worth the loss of some focus while landing? Also, would one of each provide a poor (asymmetrical) visual while landing?
Secondly: Are the LED's brighter than the incandescent's, or do they just draw less power for the same light output (I'm looking for personal observations, not book numbers). I noticed that all of the specs are conveniently in different units of measurement. For $240 per bulb I would hope to get a significant improvement in light output.
Thanks for any input!

I went with both as landing lights

We have trees at the end of our strip at 14A and I wanted the most punch I could get. I think landing lights work better for taxi than taxi lights work for landing. Just MHO

I have two LED landing lights, aimed for short final (essentially straight ahead). I find that even with the fairly extreme nose high attitude of the Rocket during taxi, there is plenty of light spillover for navigating the ramp. I'm aware that my aim on the ground is likely to blind some heavy iron drivers, but I've yet to come nose to nose with them on the ground. Something to consider, however.

Also, as a matter of full disclosure, I'm using 9 CREE LED flashlight heads rather than the "aviation" bulbs, so the light pattern may be different.

different opinion

Flying certified aircraft, these lights burn out all the time. I have never had an issue landing at night (lighted runways only!) without them. I always required my students to land with no landing light.
But taxiing, I have had places where (with burned out landing light) I had to run the strobes to feel my way along.
I vote for taxi light as most important, put the LED there.

Back