What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quick disconnect fittings - Where to buy them?

marv1121

Well Known Member
I am looking for a quick connect fitting for the oil line on my smoke system to make it quick removable. So far the best price I have seen is from Summit Racing for $48.97 each. That seems a little high to me. Does anyone know where to get a good quality fitting for any less than that price ?
Qualifications are that it needs a female pipe thread on both ends so I can put in my own hose ends, preferably 1/4 inch pipe threads.
[email protected]

Yikes

I dont claim to know anything about smoke systems but if i was inclined to have one, and want quick disconnects I would get the best quality disconnects i could afford. First thing i think about is that wing walking lady who passed away after her smoke oil splashed on her and apparently ignited. Could not think of a more horrible accident.

Pardon the rant...just gives me the willies.....get really good parts.

Oh ! I'm pretty sure if he is like me , He WANTS Really Good Fittings ! We just don't want to Pay that much for them . :D .

This place is a candy store of fittings and hoses. http://www.colliflower.com/ Fortunately one of the locations is not too far from me but they also ship. This is the place I got my quick disconnect along with other things over time. Perhaps there may also be a similar store in your area.

I buy the Jiffy ones from Summit. Yes, they are expensive, but they work very, very well and they have an AN fitting on the back side so no Rube Goldberg plumbing required.

If you do use those, be careful order the ones you need. There are parts which have a valve on both the male and the female fitting which closes when the fittings are not together, then there are some that don't have a valve in.

I have used -4 AN size on the vent side for my smoke oil tank and future aux fuel tank. I have purchased -6 AN for the fuel line for the future fuel tank.

The aircraft came with a different brand fitting for the smoke oil side. These others are much bulkier, don't have the AN fitting on the other side, and are not as easy to operate one handed. I will probably be replacing with Jiffy fittings.

Quick disconnects

If you want the very best buy swagelock fittings. They can be configured in an almost endless number of ways. I've used them in my lab for 35+ years and have never had a problem. Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

I will look into the swagelocks. Right now I have one of the jiffy fittings on the way but not from Summit Racing, they did not have them in stock.
I really do need one myself but I plan to offer them along with my smoke system kits once I decide on a good one. Everyone is correct, good quality and cheap simply do not exist together in this case.

I will second Dans statment. I purchased a couple of hydraulic quick disconect fittings for a small snow plow at tractor supply. Not quite as light as the jiffy connectors but they are twelve bucks and they work great.
Ryan

My Jiffy fittings have not arrived yet but I am on the way to Tractor Supply today to check those out. They cannot possibly weigh more than a few ounces more than the aluminum ones. Sounds too good to be true but we will see. I really appreciate all this input. I just keep trying to make the smoke system kit better and better.

Later in the day. Tractor Supply does not have them in stock, cannot order them, cannot get them from another store, and they are not available thru the online catalog. They really were no help at all. I guess you just have to be lucky enough to find a store that has them in stock. That is not the kind of supply line that I can live with for my smoke system business. I will keep looking and will gladly take all the help I can get.

Following day, more setbacks in this soap opera. I received my Jiffy-Tite fitting and to my surprise it was only one half of the fitting. It seems like you have to order the socket and the plug separately. I never caught that detail because what good is one side without the other. Anyway this one side cost me $42. and shipping, now I have the other side on order. This is going to be an expensive fitting but it sure is light and well made and good looking.

Same day after hours of searching the internet. Thru another company I found the exact same quick connect that Tractor Supply could not sell me. The only small problem is that they have a minimum order and I had to order 7 of them. They are on the way to me and I have a lot of spares now. Anybody interested in one.

Last edited:
Quick disconnect source

Try: www.pegasusautoracing.com
Search on "quick disconnect"
They have a wide selection of QDs, valved and unvalved, with AN, pipe thread and other styles of ends in virtually any size needed. Prices are competitive.
I bought most of the hose, hose ends, and flare fittings fo my home made smoke system from them.
An additional plus is that the owner, Chris Heitman, is a VAN'S Aircraft builder (RV-9 if memory serves correctly).
This plug for Pegasus is not solicitated by them. In fact,before we sold our racing business, we competed in many areas with Pegasus. Simply put, Chris is a great guy and runs an excellent business. Give him a try!

Back