What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A 200HP IO360; Fixed Pitch Prop?

krueger44

Does anyone know of a fixed pitch prop that can be used on a 200 hp IO360-A1B6? Or is it a bad idea not to use a constant speed prop?

Fp prop

I've almost the same engine mine is 200hp A1A , I chois a three blade Catto prop, that has 70" diameter and 74" pitch , not flying yet, I hope to reach good numbers.
FP versus CS prop always is big dibat, on 200 hp most think the best is CS but our plane are Experimental, so ..... Avery one is free to chois
Gooooood luck

Lucio

180hp +

I have a Catto prop made special for the late Bob Axsom. He ran it on his RV6a and it put out some serious HP and it did fine. PM me if you want specific info. Prop is hanging on the wall waiting for a project.
Cj

Tartufo Bianco

Lucio, Yes Lycoming 200hp angle valve engines are on some factory airplanes with fixed pitch, I think ...... wait ...your in Milano ... I don't care what prop gets me there, lets go for those truffles. It's the season!!!:):)

Lucio, Yes Lycoming 200hp angle valve engines are on some factory airplanes with fixed pitch, I think ...... wait ...your in Milano ... I don't care what prop gets me there, lets go for those truffles. It's the season!!!:):)

Yes Jhon, is the season, Alba is no more than two hours away, did you see there?
I'm not so crazy for white truffle but I know, it's very nice.:D
What means RV-7 a-b? :confused::confused:

Lucio, call or email Craig Catto and speak with him about pitch. Ive got a 68 x 75 on a 185 hp RV8 that I can spin up past 2700 rpm's. I think a 74 pitch may be too low for 200hp

CATTO prop pitch

Brad, thanks for note

your prop is 68x75 mine 70x74 , I don t know if 2" in diameter can make compensation 1" in pitch, in any case When I bought it I asked a prop for high cruise speed , so the answere from Craig CATTO was:

70" diameter x 74" pitch
for IO-360 200hp@2700rpm
Top Speed at target rpm 207-211mph @2750 rpm
4.375" finished Propeller Thickness

Your prop has the same thickness?
How many rpm you have before T/O run?

Lucio

Yes, it is a 200 hp angle valve. It is the (stupid) model that Mooney's have with both mags inside of a single housing being driven off of one gear.

I get 2200 RPM static, but climb at 1600-2000 feet per minute solo (depends upon the time of year). I comfortably cruise at 160-165 kts (295 to 305 kmh) burning about 33L per hour.

At 2700 RPM, 4000', I get 191 kts (353 kmh).

The prop itself makes the engine VERY smooth and, because it is only 66" diameter, there is a LOT of ground clearance.

Hope this helps

Goooood ###

Yes, it is a 200 hp angle valve. It is the (stupid) model that Mooney's have with both mags inside of a single housing being driven off of one gear.

I get 2200 RPM static, but climb at 1600-2000 feet per minute solo (depends upon the time of year). I comfortably cruise at 160-165 kts (295 to 305 kmh) burning about 33L per hour.

At 2700 RPM, 4000', I get 191 kts (353 kmh).

The prop itself makes the engine VERY smooth and, because it is only 66" diameter, there is a LOT of ground clearance.

Hope this helps

Hey Mark, Amazing numbers, I hope to get the same.
Thanks a lot at all of you guys ;);)

Back