What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Boarding Assist Handles?

mturnerb

Well Known Member
I'm thinking of adding some kind of boarding assist handle on the passenger side for my wife who has trouble stepping up on the wing.

I've had Pipers and a Bonanza that had handles and found them very useful. Has anyone done this on a -14A? If so, where did you mount it and how did you secure/support it?

Thanks

I think it is a nice idea, but I don?t think there is a suitable location to give the necessary pull up. My opinion. I usually grab the roll bar to help myself pull up, but my wife is not tall enough to do the same. I suggest you help her up, instead. :cool:

I think it is a nice idea, but I don?t think there is a suitable location to give the necessary pull up. My opinion. I usually grab the roll bar to help myself pull up, but my wife is not tall enough to do the same. I suggest you help her up, instead. :cool:

Agree, but she is fairly insistent that the handles used on previous airplanes were more helpful.

Why not a small, folding step stool?

It's been a topic of discussion - the real issue for her is negotiating the turn/climb from the step, across the flap, and then into the airplane, while avoiding grabbing weaker parts of the structure/canopy/instrument panel etc. The only structure strong enough really are the canopy rails and the roll bar (which I use when I board) but with short arms (mine are gorilla length) not much use once standing on the wing on ext. Egress is as much an issue as ingress.

Last edited:
I welded handles onto the roll bar in my RV-7 and RV-8 and find them very useful. I know you mean handhelds on the outside of the fuselage but handhelds on the rollbar are a good alternative.
The only negativ side I can see in case of an accident hitting them with the head.

A friend bought a storage armrest made for the RV-14 that sets between the seats and gives something to push up on or lower on rather than the roll bar and the fuselage side. I have also put No Hold signs on my instrument panel and try to watch to make sure no one tries to use that in boarding/egress. Pilots figure out boarding, but passengers usually don?t have a clue.

boarding handles

I tried for my mother (81 years old) suction cup for lifting glass plates.
Applied on the rear window, it's nice to help steping up on the wing, and removable ! ;)

I built a tipup 9A, but my passengers were having the same problem you 14ers are. I put a couple drawer handles from Lowe's Aircraft on the top of the fuselage behind the rear window which helped me and my longer reached passengers, but my gal was still having trouble. I made a couple doublers and bolted/riveted another handle to the right side longeron. I had her stand next to the plane and put her hand where she would grab to help pull herself up. I placed the handle there and after installation and flight testing from 50 to 165 kts with no issues I'm happy with it.

I built a tipup 9A, but my passengers were having the same problem you 14ers are. I put a couple drawer handles from Lowe's Aircraft on the top of the fuselage behind the rear window which helped me and my longer reached passengers, but my gal was still having trouble. I made a couple doublers and bolted/riveted another handle to the right side longeron. I had her stand next to the plane and put her hand where she would grab to help pull herself up. I placed the handle there and after installation and flight testing from 50 to 165 kts with no issues I'm happy with it.

I had something like this in mind - thanks for sharing your experience!!

Back