What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PIX: Custom Fastback Canopy Fairing

BruceMe

Well Known Member
They look really ugly! If someone has a program to clean them up... please do and send them back to me.

DCFN0001.JPG

DCFN0005.JPG

DCFN0016.JPG

DCFN0024.JPG

Because I'm right in the middle of glassing, I can't open it for shot of the interior or the frame works. I'll post updates once I'm done with the glass work.

Enjoy!

-Bruce

Ugly duckling?

It's a bit embarrasing, cause this has to be the uglies the project has looked since day one. Hand layup glass work looks absolutely horible till you paint it.

-Bruce

Fixed but

BruceMe said:
If someone has a program to clean them up... please do and send them back to me. -Bruce
You don't list an email address on your profile. I fixed your pictures a little, sized and sharpened them up. I think they're better. If you want I'll send them to you, email me, (left click my user id for my email).

More Fastback

smokyray said:
I like it! Is it the John Harmon parts or your own fabrication?

RR

Me too! No, I did it all from scratch. I was told that the harmon parts didn't fit well and needed splicing to work, so I figured I could make a few ribs and cut a sheet myself. That part was pretty straight forward. I cut a template for the back of the canopy and fabricated F-407 first. Then I rough-cut the sheet (A single sheet of 2024-T3 .025 4'x8') and installed it on the fuse with only F-407 and F-411 bulkheads so I could make templates for F-408/9. The remainder of the work is per plans.

It is a Todd's HR canopy. I didn't cut the canopy anywhere but to strim the aft to match F-407. Otherwise it fits awesome right out of hte box. Thank you Todd!

The frame was actually not hard at all. I may redo the cross bars using an unersized template so they come out smooth, but otherwise, it wasn't all that tough. Just careful tubing bends using a bending brake I cut out of 3/4" plywood mounted in a vise.

I'm fortunate to have a really good tig welder nearby who wasn't daunted by welding .032 6061 tubing to .032 6061 angle. For those who've done any welding you know this is a serious feet and really proves your metal (ouch). I bonded the canopy to the frame using Sika. That stuff ROCKS! dont screw with screws or get cracked up on soft rivets... be safe, use rubber!

The skirts are by far the hardest aspect of the project. I've probably put 16 hours into them so far and I probably have another 8 or so. The nose of the canopy DOES NOT intersect with the panel as per plans. It extends 1' forward of the panel more like an RV-3. I also angled the panel about 15 degrees so it would look cooler (no other reason neaded).

With the canopy untrimmed and pushed foreward; the apex of the canopy matches the pilot's head much better than other fastbacks I've seen. There's probably 4" above the top of the roll-over bar. From my estimates, if one wanted to do a sliding canopy, there's enough head-room with this canopy configuration to clear the pilot's head comfortably. I'm kinda wishing I had done that. But tip-up is lighter and simpler.

BTW, You all should be able to send me private email now.

Thanks!

-Bruce

Last edited:
Back