What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing gear intersection fairings

Rene Bubberman

Well Known Member
Hello folks,

I want to install my Fairings etc. upper intersection fairings tomorrow but I cannot find the instructions. I mailed Bob but got no reply. Can anybody give me some advise for the exact position and number of screws and nutplates which hold this fairings in its place?

Thank in advance,

Fairings

Rene (how do you get the ^ thingy to be on top of the last E in your name),
When (before?) you install the upper fairings, you really should have the airplane jacked up, levelled fore and aft and sideways, with the gear off the floor. Get the leg fairings aligned with the upper intersection fairings sitting on the leg. We snapped a chalk line on the floor, parallel to the centerline of the airplane, in line with the lower end of the gear leg fairing and my buddy sat at the rear end of the airplane, looking down that snapped line and up at the leg fairing. You can slightly rotate the leg fairing until it is in line. It's easier to see the alignment from behind than the front because you can visually "split the difference" between how much fairing shows above and below the trailing edge of the leg fairing. After you are satisfied with the alignment of the gear leg fairing, it will have dictated the position of the upper intersection fairing. Be care ful not to have any twist in the gear leg fairing when you're doing all this. Twist will also be very noticeable from the rear as well.
Regards, ;)

I forgot......

We used fairings-etc. as well and four screws each are plenty. We used rivnuts instead of nutplates because the -A models skin is inaccessible from inside. One screw in the front and rear and one on each side, tested to 220 MPH and, lo and behold, they accompanied us home! :D

Per Bob's recommendation........

Rene Bubberman said:
Hello folks,

I want to install my Fairings etc. upper intersection fairings tomorrow but I cannot find the instructions. I mailed Bob but got no reply. Can anybody give me some advise for the exact position and number of screws and nutplates which hold this fairings in its place?....
I recall Bob Snedacker's advice when I asked him over the phone how to mount his upper intersection fairings.....He said to just drill for and use round head #6 sheet metal screws.
He then said if the hole ever wallows out to then step up to #8 sheet metal screws and in the unlikely event they should ever wallow out...to then install nutplates or as a last resort.....rivnuts. He said some guys have even found a way to attach the fairings with springs so no hardware shows. My compliments. Mine are held on by four #6 round head screws each. That proved to be a very quick and simple installation process. I installed the uppers by "nesting" them into place consistent with the way Bob forms the parts. As you know, his upper gear intersection fairings are molded in such a way that by keying into the radius of the side and belly skins.....that more or less establishes the ballpark alignment needed to set the gear leg fairings. I wouldn't worry too much about precise alignment issues with the upper fairings. The gear leg fairing alignment is much more important. You will find the gear leg fairings can "clock" or rotate several degrees in either direction while seated inside the upper fairings and that is when I was inclined to pay closer attention to alignment issues.

Last edited:
No Screws

I didn't use any screws on mine. I molded the front half to the cowl and the back half to the fuselage. The front half has a small cuff that overlaps the rear. Looks great. A little more work up front but no hassles with screws. The lower cowl comes off easy with no interference issues.

I'll try to post a couple of photos.

fairings

After i aligned the gear leg fairings i ran the hinge pin up to contact the
fus skin, marked the skin then drilled a hole the dia of the hinge pin. This
gives a permanent index for the fairing. Then I held the upper fairing in place
and heated with industrial heat gun until plyable then held in place with heavy
leather gloves until cool and in place. Four screws worked for me.
Ted

4-wiring

Back