What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New trim tab for new rudder

AllThumbs

Well Known Member
We (actually, my plane partner Ralph) rebuilt our RV-6 rudder when the old .016 rudder developed too many cracks. We've taped on a temp trim tab and are now ready to make a more permanent one.

I like the bendable trim tabs that are used on the -12. If we change props it would be easier to adjust. Has anyone put one of these bendy tabs on a -6 rudder and, if so, what method did you use to attach it?

I used a wedge, but have seen plenty with a tab. Proseal is plenty strong enough but I have seen others pop rivet them on, obviously drilling through only one side of the rudder skin!

Flying out of Novato will make you a better pilot. Never seen a place with more cross wind.

I used balsa (RC model aileron stock). Once I had it adjusted to the correct size, I coated with epoxy and painted. I used RTV to hold it on the rudder. I find it less noticeable than at traditional trim tab.

Larry

We used a piece of scrap aluminum to make a tab. Stuck it on with double sided tape. Its been on for over 20 years so it must be good tape. If it ever blows off I plan to replace it with a wedge.

I would not recommend riveting one on, seems like that would just invite cracks.

Thanks for all the input! I hadn't considered the possibility of cracks from riveting. Since many aircraft do rivet those tabs on there may be a doubler on the inside. I'll go back and look at some RV-12 plans to see how that tab was installed.

I made a trim tab from 1/4" clear lexan milled into a wedge shape about 1 1/2" wide. I adjusted by simply reducing it in overall length gradually (whilst secured with duct tape) and then when I was happy I glued it on with clear RTV.

I can't say it's invisible - but it's certainly hard to spot from more than 20' away. Also, there's no colour matching of paints or need for multiple colours if it interferes with your paint scheme. Finally, it could be removed without a trace.

19859192744_4c3c7a2b70_z.jpg
[/url]_MG_3009 by WIGY TV, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Easy / Effective trim tab

Look up Gurney Flap . HFS recommended it to me. They are very small like .125 tall and VERY effective. Hold it on with tape and trim the length until the ball is centered, then rtv it on. Works like the straw taped to trailing edge as dicussed here before.

Back