What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drilling F863-1 fuel tank bracket to fuselage

kens_cockpit

Well Known Member
This is a 2003 QB 8. I am sneaking up on the project after years of dormancy.

I have fabricated the F863-1. It sits flush with the fuselage and the T405 fuel tank bracket. I need to drill the holes to attach it to the fuselage.

The problem I have is drilling the bracket to attach it to the fuselage. My (very old) instructions call for the pilot holes (already drilled on the quickbuild at #30) to be backdrilled from inside the fuselage out through the bracket. The holes are so close to the gear tower and longerons that it is impossible to get the drill perpendicular to the fuselage with the right angle drill I have and I don't have a #12 or even a #30 drill bit long enough to get out past the gear towers if drilling from the inside..

Based on another thread some 8A builders seem to have simply marked the location of the pilot holes onto the F863-1 bracket and drilled them out on a drill press. But the construction of the 8A is probably different to the 8 in that area.

How do I do this?

F863-1

There are couple good ways to drill that bracket.

1- 12 inch #30 drill and backdrill carefully like the plans state
2- #30 drill on a 45 degree air drill and backdrill
3- Use a standard #30 and twist the drill bit in the hole enough to make a mark on the bracket from inside the fuselage. Remove the bracket and drill it on the bench or drill press. Cleco back in place and drill #12 with a 90 degree drill from the outside of the fuselage or wait until you remove the wings and final drill with a standard drill and a #12

I hope this helps, feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

Back