What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV14A Trigear - Section 48-04 Step 1

design4p

Hi,

I am building a RV14A (in the UK)

I am just a little confused with Section 48-04 Step 1 which instructs the builder to drill out 2 rivets. There appears no further instruction on what to do with the loose item FF00084.

I would think that the whole vent (heater) assembly needs to be air tight, otherwise there is a direct flow of air from the engine compartment to the cabin.

Any assistance would be most welcome.

Regards John

Hi,

I am building a RV14A (in the UK)

I am just a little confused with Section 48-04 Step 1 which instructs the builder to drill out 2 rivets and discard FF00084. There appears no further instruction on what to do with the loose item FF00084.

I would think that the whole vent (heater) assembly needs to be air tight, otherwise there is a direct flow of air from the engine compartment to the cabin.

Any assistance would be most welcome.

Regards John

Hello John,
I'm in section 28 and just constructed the vent assemblies. The FF00084 is not installed at that point (page 28-09). It appears that on page 48-04 they want you to drill out the two blind rivets, installed in section 28, and install the FF00084 cover plate. If you already have the FF00084 cover plate in place, I think your good and don't need to drill out rivets to remove.
Shawn

Last edited:
Drill & replace

Hi John,

I?m at the same stage and think the intent is to drill out the existing rivets and replace with the LP-4-4 to secure the cover along with the RTV. With the air door closed, there should not be any ?significant? amount of air from the engine compartment. Without the modification, the warm air will still flow through the hose and exit out the existing vent.

That said, I plan to not close off the door per step one. The only benefit I see to incorporating would be a stronger airflow to the pilot side vent. The ?T? splits the flow almost in front of the passenger vent. If someone else sees any other benefit - please shout out..

Hi John,

I?m at the same stage and think the intent is to drill out the existing rivets and replace with the LP-4-4 to secure the cover along with the RTV. With the air door closed, there should not be any ?significant? amount of air from the engine compartment. Without the modification, the warm air will still flow through the hose and exit out the existing vent.

That said, I plan to not close off the door per step one. The only benefit I see to incorporating would be a stronger airflow to the pilot side vent. The ?T? splits the flow almost in front of the passenger vent. If someone else sees any other benefit - please shout out..
If you do not install the block off as specified in the manual, airflow to the pilot side vent will be nearly zero.

right, 48-04 Fig 1 shows the installation, not removal, of FF-00084. A bit ambiguous if you're looking at it out of context.

The area covered by FF-00084 was open in the original plans, I guess to keep the hot air moving when the vent was closed, but wound up reducing most of the flow to the pilot's side

Last edited:
Back