What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sky Designs Landing Gear

D Weisgerber

Well Known Member
I was wondering how many people are using the Sky Designs airfoil landing gear and how well you like them? Grove no longer makes the RV8 airfoil gear. I will probably order my finish kit by the end of summer and would like to delete the Vans landing gear.

I was wondering how many people are using the Sky Designs airfoil landing gear and how well you like them? Grove no longer makes the RV8 airfoil gear. I will probably order my finish kit by the end of summer and would like to delete the Vans landing gear.

I bought some. Haven't gotten to the point of installing them yet. Doing a slow-build fuselage.

But, they look great, come with a complete hardware package and installation instructions. Ken & Susan Krueger provide great customer support, and are really nice people too!

Ditto

Ditto on the last remark... You'll get all your money's worth and more. I've seen the manufacturer's shop and finished product first hand, both are top notch.

Ken is a genius when it comes to design, you won't be sorry!

100% recommend them. Mine look amazing. There was some fitting to be done for the mount brackets but not a big deal. 2 points of advise: 1st is; before you paint or prep or polish them, do not forget to run a pipe thread tap into the threaded brake line fitting holes. They are threaded, BUT ALL of mine needed either a cleaning pass with the tap or really the tap really needed turned about a half turn to 1 whole turn more. Way less frustrating if you take care of this before you polish or paint prep them.
Leads me to the 2nd point; I chose to Polish mine, I wanted to show off the beauty or airfoil machined profile. If you do chose to go the polish route, for the love of God have Ken do that for you. It only costs like 400 more dollars, I spent well over 600 dollars and a Cr@% ton of time and freaking mess buying the right polish materials and equipment and doing it. I wore full hazmat suit and face mask too. Polishing aluminum sucks. I was intending to show these off for Sky Designs, but if I did it again, I think I would say screw it and just paint them. Like I said now that I have them polished they look like a naked girl! But not worth the H#%% I went through to get them looking that way.

Oh, and I used bushings and a bunch of reamers when drilling them to the fuse, my holes are spot on perfect. But this care should be given no matter whose gear you install.

Anyways, my vote is H#%% yes, buy them, they are beautiful pieces of craftsmanship. Ken and Susan deserve the business.

Last edited:
Back