What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thunderbolt/Baffle Question: Section 47

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
Upon looking at the plans in Section 47, it appears that the regular IO-390 has a single bracket for hanging the engine. On the thunderbolt there are two brackets to hang the engine. OK--at least on the engine I have there are two brackets for hanging the engine.

With this in mind, am I supposed to remove the brackets and store them somewhere if I need to take the engine off at some point? The both brackets are in the way of putting on the aft center bracket (CB-00016) and fwd center bracket (CB-0004). So currently, I have no way to solve this problem without taking these pieces off the engine. I assume that is what I am supposed to do.

How are others dealing with this problem or am I unique?

I posted a video on my facebook page describing the situation.

https://www.facebook.com/Kens-RV14-632288410496405/

thanks

I am not at that stagey but I did manage to look at some pics of a Thunderbolt with both lift brackets removed.

Removed them both and saved for future.
oHa.jpg

fold

I just loosen the bolt, fold the hangar down and re-torque the bolt (100 inch lbs I think). Gets it out of way.

Is this an option on your 390?

there is no choice but to remove them. The baffle brackets are put in place in the same spots at as the engine hanging brackets. So leaving them there will not allow the baffle brackets to line up with the baffles.

The key is to put them somewhere that you will remember where they are when you need to pull the engine off. So I know that I will have to buy new ones when the time comes to pull off the engine ;-)

...and

...and MARK THEM, so you will know what they are for in the future.

Nothing worse than having a part that you specifically stored and not knowing what it is for...

I left them both on

I will take some pictures when I get to the plan. It is a 14, building the motor on a stand and It has all air dams on with hooks in place. I think I moved one to another spot (from memory)
Larry

just took the engine hanging hooks out. I did find that for the aft bracket it I swapped the forward and aft bolts. The aft bolt was long, while the forward bolt was short when the bracket is in place. Switching them worked out well.

Back