What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X and Trig TY91

JurgenRoeland

Well Known Member
Something that might have been asked before but I can't find any reference here or on our friend Google. (which usually isn't a good starting sign)

I'm living in Europe and 8.33mhz spacing is mandatory now for newly installed radios.
I'm thinking of the garmin G3X touch for my efis and found out that Garmin is not offering an experimental radio with 8.33mhz. The only alternative is the GTR 225 which is a certified radio and as such... very expensive. Therefor, started looking into alternatives and the TRIG TY91 looks like a nice transceiver with many good references and in Europe only 1400€, which is way less than the GTR 225 (at 2000€ on a temporary special offer).
It looks like the TY91 is compatible with the Dynon skyview system in and out frequencies but I can't find any documentation or reviews or references about it being compatible with the garmin g3X.
Does anybody have this combination installed or have more info ? Or what other alternatives for G3x compatible 8.33 transceivers would you recommend ?

thanks in advance

Jurgen Roeland

Last edited:
Something that might have been asked before but I can't find any reference here or on our friend Google. (which usually isn't a good starting sign)

I'm living in Europe and 8.33mhz spacing is mandatory now for newly installed radios.
I'm thinking of the garmin G3X touch for my efis and found out that Garmin is not offering an experimental radio with 8.33mhz. The only alternative is the GTR 225 which is a certified radio and as such... very expensive. Therefor, started looking into alternatives and the TRIG TY91 looks like a nice transceiver with many good references and in Europe only 1400?, which is way less than the GTR 225 (at 2000? on a temporary special offer).
It looks like the TY91 is compatible with the Dynon skyview system in and out frequencies but I can't find any documentation or reviews or references about it being compatible with the garmin g3X.
Does anybody have this combination installed or have more info ? Or what other alternatives for G3x compatible 8.33 transceivers would you recommend ?

thanks in advance

Jurgen Roeland

Hello Jurgen,

We haven't tested a G3X Touch system with a Trig radio, but this is what they say on their website:

"If your GPS supports the SL40 protocol then 25 kHz and 50 kHz frequency data and airfield identifiers will be displayed in the TC90 Controller display window. We intend to provide a future software release to use of this capability with 8.33 kHz frequencies too."

Page 34-128 of the Rev. AB G3X Installation Manual provides a table showing the various features supported for many radios including the SL 40 they reference in their documentation.

You might check with them on the progress of a more complete implementation of this public protocol. The complete protocol is published in the GTR 200 installation manual.

Thanks,
Steve

response directly from TRIG support:

"I can confirm that the TY91 will happily work with the G3X on 8.33 frequencies. We introduced this feature earlier this year with the TC90 controller software version 1.5 that now ships with all units."

"Unfortunately the TT21 cannot be controlled directly from the G3X. "

So good and bad news... Will have to hope Trig works on that in their next software versions.

Thanks for having raised up this topic Jurgen, I'm also installing G3X and Trig VHF/XPDR.

Interfacing the TY91 VHF is the priority in order to populate the list of target frequencies.

For the TT22 XPRD, I should say this is nice to have because the manual interface is accessible.

Great forum!

Back