What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Infinity stick grip

RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello Guys

I thinking on replacing my stick grips with Infinity's Grip and I'm wondering how hard they are to wire and install.

My set up will be fairly simple with a push to talk, Txp Ident and autopilot disconnect swithes... No electric trims..

I saw Pat Hatch's relays and I wondering if they are useful in reducing the installations..

Your thoughts will be appreciated...

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

Hello Guys

I thinking on replacing my stick grips with Infinity's Grip and I'm wondering how hard they are to wire and install.

My set up will be fairly simple with a push to talk, Txp Ident and autopilot disconnect swithes... No electric trims..

I saw Pat Hatch's relays and I wondering if they are useful in reducing the installations..

Your thoughts will be appreciated...

Pretty easy. They will come with a pre-wired pig tail, so you don't have to actually wire any of the switches in the grip. You can get the pig tail to any length you need. I think the default is a couple feet.

I can't comment on Pat's relays. I have a VPX, so relays are not required in my installation.

If you got some free time, give them a call. The owner loves to talk to folks and you'll be on the phone for awhile.

bob

The owner loves to talk to folks and you'll be on the phone for awhile.

bob

Ha! That is completely true! We talked politics for over an hour before we actually started talking about how I wanted my grips wired when I ordered them! :D

Bruno, the setup you describe is simple and needs no relays. Appliances like fuel pumps, lights and starters etc need relays. The stick grip uses 24 ga wires therefore relays become necessary.
Good luck

Last edited:
Infinity stick grips..

Hello everyone

Thanks for the replies, it is appreciated..

Looks like there might be a couple new stick grips in my future..

Anyone has a couple for sale with a Christmas special..:D

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

Just be careful how you exit the stick with that thick blue cable! Don't know if -4s have the same problem as -8s, but you might want to search the forums on this subject! :D

Infinity makes nice products! Just understand you'll need 3 hands to install them! Actually, you can do it with two if you hold your mouth just right and think happy thoughts.

Seriously, for this purpose I'd strongly recommend a small cannon plug or similar connector (at the stick base) so you can remove the stick and work on a workbench under a light.

Regarding wire bundle routing, I personally penetrated the stick just below the grip (least strength impact). Some penetrate closer to the pivot point.

My set up will be fairly simple with a push to talk, Txp Ident and autopilot disconnect swithes... No electric trims.

I have an Infinity grip on my front stick in my RV4. Aside from the look they are overkill for the back seat but that is certainly a personal decision. The front stick does not have room to pull the cable through the bottom so you will need to drill a hole in the stick for it to exit.

Wiring the sticks is extremely easy. Call Infinity as previously mentioned and have them set up the switches for what you want. Just be aware that you will be talking for a while and trying to be convinced that you need an engine start switch on the stick. Stick to what you want. Personally I have my PTT, comm flip flop, flaps, A/P disc/CWS, fuel pump, and landing light switch on mine so I can fly HOTAS in formation. For relays I used the S704-1 relays that B&C sells and they work perfectly. You'll need relays for higher power drawing things like fuel pump, flaps, landing lights, etc.

All the wires are color coded and diagramed so simply take all the black wires which are grounds to the same grounding spot and hook up the color coded lead to its instrument/operation. Don't worry about a plug....that is overkill and a good place to have a failure plus the front stick should never need to come out.

Measure your stick carefully. The grip is very tall and will require a big cut down of your stick so it can clear the bottom of your panel. The back seat is even lower so it doesn't bang into the back of the front seat.

Love the grips, they are my second plane with them and I'm putting them in the third currently being built.

Look and feel... Look is great, but I'm sorry to say the feel of the switches is very poor. This will make you remember the computer joysticks we had in the eighties. Except your seat, the stick grip is the main contact you have with the aircraft of you dream, so I think all our building efforts and passion deserve more. May be I'm too picky... But the one I've bought will be dedicated to the rear passenger seat. I can't imagine it's not possible to provide better switches with this beautiful grip.

Bruno, thanks for the plug, but as others have said, you really don't need one of my products for what you describe. My relay boards will simplify your wiring if you have electric trims along with the other items you mention, but without the electric trims, you really don't need it. Good luck with the project and let me know if I can answer any of your questions! :)

I'm sort of regretting putting the trim controls on the 4-way hat. I'm now thinking I should have set it up to operate the EFIS's autopilot ops.

I suppose I should actually fly the thing first before I jump to any conclusions.

Infinity Grip/relays

Hi Pat

You build and provide good material so it is a pleasure if I helped you in any way.

I'll let you know for sure if I or one of my friends need some of your relays.

I haven't made the switch yet to the Infinity grip ( unless someone has a deal I can't refuse ;-) but probably will in the next few months.My airplane budget so far as gone to a new Catto Carbon fiber 3 bladded prop and a Dynon D1 so I'm doing pretty good so far...

Thanks again everyone for the feedbacks.

Bruno
[email protected]

4-way switch

I'm sort of regretting putting the trim controls on the 4-way hat. I'm now thinking I should have set it up to operate the EFIS's autopilot ops.

I suppose I should actually fly the thing first before I jump to any conclusions.

I "grew up" flying helicopters where the trims were on the 4-way switch. Personally I like it a lot, but naturally depends on personal preference.

My 5 cents worth (no 2 cent coin in Oz!) for what it's worth :cool:

Look and feel... Look is great, but I'm sorry to say the feel of the switches is very poor. This will make you remember the computer joysticks we had in the eighties. Except your seat, the stick grip is the main contact you have with the aircraft of you dream, so I think all our building efforts and passion deserve more. May be I'm too picky... But the one I've bought will be dedicated to the rear passenger seat. I can't imagine it's not possible to provide better switches with this beautiful grip.

I have to respectfully disagree. I think they look fantastic and there is no grip I would rather grab than the infinity. The ergonomics and button placement are fantastic. I wish I had a computer joystick this nice. I don't remember the details, but the switches used are VERY high quality switches.

I do agree with the 3-hands comment. There are so many things going on that it is difficult to get it assembled into the stick without pinching a wire. I ALWAYS wire it on a bench with a CPC plug at the bottom for connection in the plane.

again, look and ergonomic are really great, but I suggest you to try "real" aircraft class switches (push buttons), like OTTO's. It's probably like buying a iPhone5S or a GS4, look & feel pros & cons... ;)

again, look and ergonomic are really great, but I suggest you to try "real" aircraft class switches (push buttons), like OTTO's. It's probably like buying a iPhone5S or a GS4, look & feel pros & cons... ;)

When I installed my Infinity grip, I had a little concern over the quality of the switches and buttons. But in 14 yrs and 1585 hrs, I've never had one fail that I didn't break. Perhaps a case of good (versus excellent) is satisfactory. Unless you just want that excellent "feel", and I can appreciate that.

Last edited:
what is the 'standard' for buttons?

since this grip issue has been renewed afresh, I wonder if it isn't a good idea to have some commonality between aircraft. Of course as custom builders we can do what we like, but wonder if there is a 'best practice' standard.
I'm surprised to hear even a lot of ex-fighter jocks seem to have the trigger as the PTT.
I moved one of the momentary 'on' buttons to the top 'thumb' position for the PTT, as I was afraid of accidentally keying it while manouevering! (This way it matches the co-pilots bicycle grip too!)
Not an issue? currently I have no other active buttons, but may add flaps if I upgrade to a stepped controller ( 1-2-3 'notches'). I figure I'll save the trigger for activating the 'gun camera'! :)

since this grip issue has been renewed afresh, I wonder if it isn't a good idea to have some commonality between aircraft. Of course as custom builders we can do what we like, but wonder if there is a 'best practice' standard.
I'm surprised to hear even a lot of ex-fighter jocks seem to have the trigger as the PTT.
I moved one of the momentary 'on' buttons to the top 'thumb' position for the PTT, as I was afraid of accidentally keying it while manouevering! (This way it matches the co-pilots bicycle grip too!)
Not an issue? currently I have no other active buttons, but may add flaps if I upgrade to a stepped controller ( 1-2-3 'notches'). I figure I'll save the trigger for activating the 'gun camera'! :)

I used the Infinity defaults except for the bottom button. Instead of fuel pump, I made it for the smoke system.

This is similar to a friend's Rocket as well. This allows him to fly my aircraft without confusion (if ever). For the starter switch, I have a disable function built into my Avionics Master. In fact, the primary function of the Avionics Master switch is to disable the starter! When the avionics are ON, I can't accidentally engage the starter. Procedure at start is to fire up the master bus (including EFIS), start the engine, then turn on the avionics.

Back