What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel pump RG17980p

Hi,

I'm looking for a maintenance manual with a description of the Kelly Aerospace RG17980p (Lear/Romec) mechanical fuel pump. My engine is a 300 hp AEIO-540-L1B5D.

I'd like to know where the return line is, A or B ? Both ?

Fuel_pump_RG17980p.jpg

Thanks for your help.

I don't have a manual but I've had these apart. I believe the left one is the bypass return and the right one is a drain so that if fuel gets past the seal it does not get into your engine oil. Not 100% sure since its been several years since I've had one apart.

The pump does not incorporate a return. Both fittings you highlighted are vents.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

Thanks++

Are these vents (A & B) supposed to be plugged somewhere?

Do you know where I can download a manual for this pump? (I've only found service bulletins...)

Don't know about the manuals.
The vents should be open to atmosphere and they may normally be plumbed overboard or to an area where if one leaks fuel, it won't cause any fire type problems.
Merry Christmas,
Mahlon

Yes indeed! The fuel injection is RSA10-DB1.

As you see, I'm discovering injection system... :rolleyes:

So the problem is solved.

Thanks a lot!!!

Not completely solved

Sounds like you have a mixed bag on your fuel injection system. As far as I know the AEIO-540 has a Romec RG-9080 pump on it. The RG-17980 is typically used on an IO-540 K engine. In your case being experimental, it doesn?t matter the 17980 will work.

On the other hand you should check the data plate on the servo. If you indeed have an RSA-10DB1, this servo is used mostly on TIO-541 engines (like in a Beechcraft Duke). It will not run a naturally aspirated Lycoming. The servo could have some of the internal parts changed and be re-calibrated to operate a naturally aspirated engine. Again the AEIO-540 engine typically uses an RSA-10AD1 P/L 2524318.

Don

Thanks Don for your precious contributions.

My engine was equipped like this, so, reading your post, I've checking the RSA Servo applications page on www.precisionairmotive.com :

The RSA-10DB1 (part 2524855) fits the AEIO-540-L, just like the RSA-10AD1 you mentioned.

Everything is getting clearer now.

Thanks again. Good Flying!

AMC. That's cool

OK. You are correct. Digging a bit further now that I have the parts list number there was one RSA-10DB1 used on a naturally aspirated engine and you have it!!. Cool set-up with an Automatic Mixture Control. Fly full rich to 15,000, compensated for air density.

Don

Yes, I knew about the mixture control feature.

My AEIO-540-L is an evolution of the IO-540-K, the main difference is I have the front air inlet.

And for info, the induction will be equipped with the Rod Bower's Ram Air system.

Thanks for your help Don.

Back