What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canadian Homebuilders - Hull Insurance on New Aircraft?

Canadian_JOY

Well Known Member
This is a question for Canadian homebuilders, specifically those who have built an aircraft and sought hull-in-motion insurance for that aircraft as it transitioned from "project" to "first flight" and beyond.

I'm very curious to know who has insured you for full in-motion hull coverage and what caveats/restrictions those insurers may have placed on you as a precursor to having full in-motion hull insurance.

I'm likewise curious to know how many have experienced a refusal by insurers to offer in-motion hull insurance for some or any period within the first year of operating the aircraft.

This inquiry isn't idle curiosity. I'm getting a bit of a run-around at the moment, with neither COPA or EAA insurers offering viable options. It would also be helpful to know how recently you've gone through this process.

Thanks for any and all info you care to share. If you wish not to share your info on this forum, please feel free to reach out to me via email at cgjoy(at)yahoo.ca

Copa

Copa VIP gold worked for me. In-motion coverage from the moment it moved out of the garage until now (30 hours so far)

Simon

This is a question for Canadian homebuilders, specifically those who have built an aircraft and sought hull-in-motion insurance for that aircraft as it transitioned from "project" to "first flight" and beyond.

I'm very curious to know who has insured you for full in-motion hull coverage and what caveats/restrictions those insurers may have placed on you as a precursor to having full in-motion hull insurance.

I'm likewise curious to know how many have experienced a refusal by insurers to offer in-motion hull insurance for some or any period within the first year of operating the aircraft.

This inquiry isn't idle curiosity. I'm getting a bit of a run-around at the moment, with neither COPA or EAA insurers offering viable options. It would also be helpful to know how recently you've gone through this process.

Thanks for any and all info you care to share. If you wish not to share your info on this forum, please feel free to reach out to me via email at cgjoy(at)yahoo.ca

Insurance

I started flying my finally completed 7 in July this year. I received quotes through both COPA and EAA. The coverage requested was for full hull and $2 mil liability. Cost was just over $1400 and just over $1500 annually. With EAA there were restrictions for another pilot of 250 hrs min, 10 recent on type and 50 tw. There were no restrictions for me other than those of my permit. I chose to stay with EAA (their original quote was higher than COPA but they matched) since I had been with them for the past 3 years while flying my purchased flying 4.

When I bought the 4 they didn't put any restrictions on me and I only had 30 hrs tw and 0 RV time. I had concerns that they would have a min hr requirement, but they did not.
PM me your number if you want to discuss further.
Al

Thanks, Al - your input is appreciated, particularly with respect to sticking with EAA insurance after several years of working with them.

I've been with Air1 for a number of years on the Champ and usually get quotes from COPA/Magnes and EAA on renewal. Did the same when I insured the RV-8 in July 2016. Air1 covered the hull in motion/flight and only asked that my son and I get transition training (no hours were specified). Air1 were the low bid & also waived the deductible (like Magnes). EAA were slow to respond and I finally gave up on them for the 8.

Last edited:
I renewed yesterday for my not-in-motion RV-10 with Magnes. As the -10 will be flying within the next 60 days, I also requested quote for in-motion coverage. I got a quote quite a bit cheaper from a broker (Lloyds) for the not-in-motion, however the full coverage in-motion was 2 1/2 times their not-in-motion quote. My -9 is also insured with Magnes and no specific restriction attached to the in-motion RV-10 coverage.
Michel

+1 for Air1

okay, I'm not a builder, but seems the folks at Air1 tend to do some legwork for you, and find something that works.
Not always the cheapest, altho they were this year, and were the only ones not to require 10 hours of dual for me to solo my new taildragger! ( sign off by qualified person required).
When you send them a hard question, usually the 'boss' phones you in a few minutes, and gets the hard facts, then emails you a reply.
doesn't happen with the 'other' guys.
Might be worth a try Mark! :)

Thanks for all the great responses. I'm still waiting for a quote that's actually usable and at least moderately affordable. COPA came in with a price point that's fully 54% more expensive than the current quote through EAA C-PLAN. Unfortunately the C-PLAN quote is totally unusable as it imposes conditions which would make it impossible to actually fly the airplane. This insurance business certainly is bewildering and the brokers and underwriters do their best to keep it as black an art as they can. A little bit of knowledge in the hands of consumers might actually result in lower premiums. What a thought!

Check with Marsh as well... They used to be COPA's insurer, I went to C-Plan for a year and then came back to Marsh after they were disassembled from COPA. They still offer the Gold/Silver plans, just not as part of a COPA offering.

Back