What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Braided SS brake lines

fabricflyer

Well Known Member
What are Yall recommending for braided SS brake lines? Both interior petal lines and lines going down gear legs. Do you have to have them custom made or are there lines already made up that you can buy?
Allen Blackwell
Tylertown, MS
Very slow build RV7A

I bought mine from Bonaco. They used to advertise here, don't see them at the moment. They were heavy because they didn't use alum fittings.

I suggest you contact Tom at

tsflightlines.com

He knows what you need. Great product and service!

Bevan

Braided brakelines

I fabricated my own quite easily after visiting a hydrolics repair shop and being shown how to cut to length and fix the ends. My end fittings are steel. ( heavier)

This suited me as I could tailor make them in situ.

I find this a more satisfactory solution than making aluminium lines supplied by Vans. My previous plane needed aluminium lines replaced due cracking.

Jeff Rowlands

Edelbrock/Russell Motorcycle Brake Lines

I used the AN3 Edelbrock/Russell Motorcycle Brake Lines. Amazon carries them in various lengths and with various angles on the ends. Jegs and Summit Racing also carry them. The braid is wrapped with clear vinyl to prevent stones from damaging the SS overbraid. Typical Russell Brake Line

Braided brake lines

I installed Beringer brakes. The included lines are all braided. Nice part is it allowed one piece lines from the last connection inside to the wheels. TS Flightlines makes them too.

True---but there were very few OE automotive companies that used teflon for brake hose at the calipers. ABS pump hoses are a different story. In a previous 'life', we built DOT brake hoses. Really only one real supplier of OE styled hose and fittings, not adapted hose ends used with -3 teflon, like most aftermarket companies, like Earls, Russell, Goodridge.

I agree with the pressures. The Lab tests use the chart that you showed, but generally we tested to 3000 psi.

Tom

What are Yall recommending for braided SS brake lines? Both interior petal lines and lines going down gear legs. Do you have to have them custom made or are there lines already made up that you can buy?
Allen Blackwell
Tylertown, MS
Very slow build RV7A

Back to your original question: I thought about going with a motorcycle shop or try and make my own but 2 things changed my mind and I went with Tom at TS Flightlines and I'm so glad I did. My 2 reasons were:
1- Brakes are obviously one of my critical items on plane and I didn't want to take any chances.
2- I tend to do my best and support the folks who support and advertise on this website. As it turns out, not only is the product top notch, Tom is great guy and has tons of knowledge about this particular subject.

Spend the "extra" few bucks and go with Tom.

Back