Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2019, 09:55 AM

Default Low & Fast: Is it safe and is it legal?

Interesting video by the Lancair Owners & Builders Organization.
A discussion on VAF is mentioned at the 18 minute mark.

https://www.lobolive.net/1.html

Antennas for Experimental Aircraft
www.deltapopaviation.com
Old 03-10-2019, 11:32 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for posting. Well worth spending the time to view
TMX0360, Pmags, CS
Bridgewater, MA
KPYM
Old 03-10-2019, 12:21 PM

As a Lancair owner, I used to belong to LOBO. Before my first flight, they hooked me up with an instructor so I could get some training before flying my project for the first time. Also, Bob Pastusek's talk on maintenance issues was most excellent. I'm forever grateful for LOBO getting me off to a good start but, since then, it has became apparent that the only purpose of LOBO these days is to keep insurance rates down for the high-dollar Evo's and the L-IVP's. I told Jeff Edwards that very thing at one of their fly-ins after he bombarded us for over an hour with statistics proving that all Lancair pilots are going to die very soon. I really didn't need to pay good money to hear that. I no longer participate in Lancairtalk, either. There's much more useful information available here at VAF.

P.S. I highly recommend Don's blade-type ADS-B/Xpndr antennas.

Last edited by snopercod : 03-10-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:10 PM
been here awhile

I would hope RV-think has trended more toward safe ops than when the ten-year-old VAF thread he referenced was current. RV flights I see at various airports and discussed here lead me to believe there isn't as much cowboying taking place as there was a decade or so ago.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:20 AM

Default "Open water"

+1 on Sam's comment.

I also learned something new from the video - "open water" for purposes of 91.119(c) is depicted by a (very slightly) lighter shade of blue on sectionals, differentiating it from "inland water" (see ~24:45 in the video). This information is not included in the Sectional Chart Legend, but does appear in the Chart User's Guide.

Oceans and the Great Lakes are charted as open water. So are lakes Ponchartrain, Okeechobee, and Great Salt Lake. Most other water bodies are not, including some fairly large lakes such Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin (roughly 10x25 miles).
Old 03-11-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carroll View Post
+1 on Sam's comment.

I also learned something new from the video - "open water" for purposes of 91.119(c) is depicted by a (very slightly) lighter shade of blue on sectionals, differentiating it from "inland water" (see ~24:45 in the video). This information is not included in the Sectional Chart Legend, but does appear in the Chart User's Guide.

Oceans and the Great Lakes are charted as open water. So are lakes Ponchartrain, Okeechobee, and Great Salt Lake. Most other water bodies are not, including some fairly large lakes such Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin (roughly 10x25 miles).
I didn't know that. Cool, thanks.

Interesting to think about. I'll venture to say very low flight over large expanses of water is probably a lot less safe than ripping along over a small lake or a river. The shorelines offer a visual clue as to height above the water.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
I didn't know that. Cool, thanks.

Interesting to think about. I'll venture to say very low flight over large expanses of water is probably a lot less safe than ripping along over a small lake or a river. The shorelines offer a visual clue as to height above the water.
I'd worry about power/phone lines strung across the river, the ones that you don't see until you've hit them. Of course, if you're familiar with the route, it's not an issue. The view's great down low, but the comfort factor for me is 3500+ feet agl.
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2019
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 03-11-2019, 06:12 PM

Also you're not supposed to be closer than 500 feet to people. In the video the Cessna that crashed going down the river was flying past people on the river banks. Way closer than 500 feet!
Dues paid Dec 18
Old 03-11-2019, 06:14 PM

Default There is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
I would hope RV-think has trended more toward safe ops than when the ten-year-old VAF thread he referenced was current. RV flights I see at various airports and discussed here lead me to believe there isn't as much cowboying taking place as there was a decade or so ago.
There is at my airport - though its not RVers. Exactly the attitude mentioned in the vid.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:16 AM

Default temporary wires and cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightrudder View Post
I'd worry about power/phone lines strung across the river, the ones that you don't see until you've hit them. Of course, if you're familiar with the route, it's not an issue. The view's great down low, but the comfort factor for me is 3500+ feet agl.
The problem is even if you know the route well, sometimes people string temporary wires or cables. That is a very frequent problem in the mountains - could be logging or even simple transport of equipment or supplies up or down when roads are not adequate. These can pop up in minutes, so even if you flew the route in the morning, flying it after lunch it can be different.