What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming 0-320 H2AD ignition/PMag

WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Hello!

So I pulled the hood on my girlfriend?s new RV-6A with an 0-320 H2AD to install a PMag in place of the older EI that it had. Was going to keep the mag and add the PMag. Thinking this would be similar to my RV-8s O-360 install I did recently, only to find out that there is only one port for a mag!? I?m guessing this is common but new to me. Is this right that 0-320 models are single mag operation? Are guys using Pmags on 0-320s and if so how do you get a mag and pmag running?

Thanks for the help all!

Happy New Years!

The H2AD is a different animal.

Its designed around the D2000 mags, which are dual mags that share a single drive.

In order to have a redundant EI/mag setup on the H2AD you have to go with a crank trigger igntion, such as Lightspeed, Electroair, SDS, EFII, etc, then put in a PMag or a right turning mag in.

Or you could just go with a dual EI crank trigger setup with backup batteries, and put a cover over the mag hole.

You cannot use a pmag on a H2AD engine. The drive dimensions and arrangement do not match up with the drive gear in the engine. As Rocketbob suggested your only option is full dual electronic ignition via the crank trigger method or one crank triggered Electronic and one mag.

To do this you can just use the old D2000/3000 and permanently ground one side.(you may already have this setup?) OR use a single Bendix 1200 series mag in its place. The impulse coupling variety has the same drive dimensions as the old dual mag but must be setup to turn in the right hand direction.(most of them are left hand rotation but can be easily changed to Right hand). Try part# S4RN-1227 10-349365-6
You will not however be able to use an impulse coupling with this setup ( there is none available with the required amount of Lag in the right hand direction that will suit the 1200 series). You will need to use a drive coupling commonly used on 6 cylinder 1200 series setups with retard breakers. Part # AEL 73000. This coupling uses the same drive cushions and arrangement as the D2000/3000 and will work with the drive gear in the engine.
You have to use the Electronic ignition for starting and will have to setup your ignition switch(s) to ground the mag for starting or you will get kickback if the mag fires at low speed.

For the electronic I use a CPI from Ross at SDS.
If you decide to go full electronic,he also has a nice block off plate and drive gear pin setup for dual mag engines so you don't lose all your oil pressure when you remove the drive gear from the engine. A bullet proof fully user adjustable ignition with excellent after sales service.

Good Luck

Flying a H2AD in an RV 6 for 14 years..and luvn it. :D

Last edited:
Thanks!

Great info - thanks a lot! I?m going to go one crank EI and keep the one mag. That?s the easiest at this point. It?s nice learning about this motor though....different than the 360 I?m used to!

Thanks guys.

Charles

Back