What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Capacitive Fuel Sender

Badia358

Has anyone installed a capacitance fuel sender into an already completed fuel tank/flying RV-6A that has a Dynon Skyview system installed? I would like to move away from the resistive senders in the tank now.

If yes, what capacitance fuel sender did you install?

Thank you...

These are going to be very difficult to install in the tank after it's been closed up, you'll have to cut holes in the rear baffle for access. Are you sure it's worth the effort?

I'm considering the same for my RV6 as well. I imagine cutting a hole in the back of the tank at every other rib large enough to get a small dremel flex shaft inside for cutting the probe holes.

Then pop rivet covers back onto the access holes - lots of pro seal to avoid any leaks.

While I'm in there, I'm going to re-apply proseal on the rivets - I have a couple of weepers that I've never really had much luck sealing up from the outside.

It doesn't sound too awful, but I haven't done it yet either. Any input from those who have gone before is welcome. Otherwise I'll probably tread in this winter after flying season is over.

Don

Vans no longer sells the capacitance fuel senders but a VAF member here was going to make some for himself and sell to others that are interested.

A quick search found him.

These are going to be very difficult to install in the tank after it's been closed up, you'll have to cut holes in the rear baffle for access. Are you sure it's worth the effort?

Sounds like to much work for an already flying airplane. Thank you..

After more research, I've discovered that the calibration of capacitance probes is highly sensitive to the types of fuel in the tank - gasoline(gasohol?), 100LL, Swift Fuel - all will have different calibrations for accurate fuel level.

No thanks. I'll stick with my resistance senders.

Don

After more research, I've discovered that the calibration of capacitance probes is highly sensitive to the types of fuel in the tank - gasoline(gasohol?), 100LL, Swift Fuel - all will have different calibrations for accurate fuel level.

I keep reading this as a drawback to the capacitive senders, but how often are most RV pilots switching fuel types? Honest question, I'm a 99% builder 1% flyer at this point and legitimately don't know.

I believe the switching fuel issue is mostly with pilots that burn mogas. You have auto fuel at home, but usually have to burn 100LL when buying fuel away. That makes an unknown mix for awhile that burns fine, but doesn't measure accurately.

Haven't built the RV yet...but familiar with mogas in my TriPacer!

Back