What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Window Flange

ethand

Well Known Member
I was a bit overzealous in trimming my rear window flanges and now find them to be less that the 3/4" in the plans. Smallest is about 1/2" and runs along most of the bottom section of the left window.

Question is do I need to build this area back to the 3/4" or so or is it ok?

If this is required, what is the best method to do this?

Fiberglass layer on the inside of the cabin top? But then how do I get the thickness of the flange built back up?

Thanks
E

I was a bit overzealous in trimming my rear window flanges and now find them to be less that the 3/4" in the plans. Smallest is about 1/2" and runs along most of the bottom section of the left window.

Question is do I need to build this area back to the 3/4" or so or is it ok?

If this is required, what is the best method to do this?

Fiberglass layer on the inside of the cabin top? But then how do I get the thickness of the flange built back up?

Thanks
E

I can't tell you if it's ok, since I don't have knowledge of the engineering data.

Also many of us put two ply over the window joint for cosmetic reasons, but I suspect it also helps strengthen the window bond to the cabin cover.

Search DanH's posts. He's got some great photos to illustrate how to do a scarf joint.

Thanks Bob. Found his post of Scarf joints in "Extending a Cowl Edge thread" Ironically, that is what I had been doing on the door rails for mcmaster seals.

Regards
E

Back