What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sectionals on Skyview using a Mac

jveatch

Has anyone put a sectional on Skyview recently using a Mac to download the files? I understand it is a $99 annual fee from Seattle Avionics. There are also posts from a few years ago about how difficult it was on a Mac, and that Seattle Avionics didn't seem to have any understanding of Mac (their management had obviously never been in an Apple Store). Have things improved now or is it the same old problem.

Seattle Avionics says NO

Two months ago I e-mailed SA asking about improving access to their DBs with a Macbook. The response was no plans to provide for a Mac, use Bootcamp instead (Apple's virtual machine that allows running Windows..........which is repulsive to any established Mac user).

I use ForeFlight on my iPad for sectionals. With WiFi transfer of flight plans iPad-Dynon, that solution works well.

I subscribed to Seattle's VFR Sectionals for one year.

They too told me no plans to accommodate a Mac so I had to use an old netbook to download the info which took forever. When I spoke with Seattle they were completely indifferent so I dropped the subscription and now use an iPad Air with Foreflight which is hugely better.

Actually, I found that I didn't really ever use the sectional chart on Skyview as the screen was too 'busy'. I only really use the geo-positioned taxi charts, which I still can even though the subscription has expired. For the flying that I do it's another resource.

Fo $99 per year for Seattle I don't think it's at all worth it for me. For $75 a year I got FF which is massively better than Seattle and for an extra $25 I added Synthetic Vision. I bought the Dynon WiFi adapter for $35 and now have FF, with Synthetic Vision and WiFi on my iPad for the same amount Seattle charged and the FF is a vastly better product.

Oh, and it takes seconds to download FF updates onto my iPad versus literally several hours to do it using Seattle's product.

Personally, don't recommend Seattle Avionics at all.

Parallels

I use Seattle's software. I have a MacBook Pro and use the Parallels emulator to run their software. It works fine. The downloads are slow but trouble free.

I rarely use the sectional view. I do use the geo-ref charts and the IFR Low charts occasionally.

I don't have another GPS navigator other than the SkyView. So, while ForeFlight is definitely a better product, using Seattle is the only way to get my ground track overlayed on an approach chart. I'm on my first year of the subscription though and will re-evaluate when renewal time comes around.

The fact that Seattle Avionics doesn't directly support the Mac platform is just plain wrong-headded and bad business.

I don't have anything to add about the main subject. I'm a Mac user and am not using Seattle avionics charts on my Skyview, nor do I feel like I'm missing them. I do have the wifi dongle for Skyview and use Foreflight on my iPhone (and the wife's iPad mini) to do my flight planning, and to have current sectionals at my fingertips. Exporting the flight plan to the Skyview takes seconds. I have the iPhone on a RAM mount on the panel and it follows along running Foreflight. The iPhone is also plugged into my Aux Audio jack so I can listen to music or podcasts. Now if skyvector.com would only export flight plans, I'd be all set!

I have a SA subscription, Skyview 7" displays and Skyview autopilot. I also have a MacBook, running VMware Fusion (using Windows XP) to access and download the SA VFR Sectionals, IFR approach plates, via the SA Chartdata Manager program.

The sectionals I download from SA are the newer, high resolution type. In order to use that, the Skyviews must be upgraded to Skyview system software version 13.0 or higher.

My primary navigation tool is my iPad Air. It is awesome. I fly a high-wing airplane (CTSW), so the glare from sunlight is not too bad, as in most low-wing airplanes. The backup navigation preferred is the Skyview generic. After that, I use the SA sectionals. I find the sectional maps to have a somewhat, "washed out" appearance, as compared to iPad and Skyview generic maps. Therefore, I rarely look at the sectionals on the Skyview while flying.

Bottom line, I do not think the SA charts are worth it. With Mac users, they are a PITA. First, you must set up the computer to handle it. Secondly, the downloads are extremely slow, especially compared to Foreflight, WingX, Jepps and Garmin. Downloads with them, even with much more data, are a flash.

Lastly, Seattle Avionics is not interested nor has any plans to upgrade their site to be natively compatible with Apple products.

On a final note, I have found that SA's tech support is, at best, mediocre. Competitively, the company is behind by years.
When my subscription comes due for renewal, I will let it expire.

Isn't it great to have choices

Agree with all the criticism of Seattle (especially poor Mac compatibility). But I purchased a 2 year subscription for $99 back when it was on sale. So for for only $50/yr (cost of 1 tank of gas) along with the regular Skyview charts and Foreflight I've had backups to my backups. Overkill for VFR light, but makes me feel more responsible ;) That said, not sure I'll renew Seattle either - if they track their renewals, and they surely do, that will be the best way to get their attention to encourage this improvement.

. . . "Agree with all the criticism of Seattle [Avionics] . . . if they track their renewals, and they surely do, that will be the best way to get their attention to encourage this improvement." . . .
The best vote, in getting their undivided attention, is with the wallet.

I did have contact with them when they asked me to give a survey of their product.

They simply said they had no plan to do anything with Mac.

That said, I never used the sectionals, since I find them hard to read and basically, the Skyview map is easier to read and less cluttered. If I need the sectional. I have it on FF and it's hugely easier to read.

I have no need for hi/lo altitude charts so really the ONLY thing I used it for is the geo-referenced taxi chart, and even then, on small basic airfields I don't use it, only at busier more complicated taxiway layouts.

For just using the geo-referenced taxi layout it's not worth $99 per year. I get FF which is a vastly better product for less money, and it has taxi charts along with sectionals plus a whole lot of other info.

So?I already made the decision, with my wallet.:)

Back