What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's your favorite rattle can?

Tram

Well Known Member
I'm still working on a color change for the interior - from tan to dark gray.

I recently started rolling it and realized being already built, paint is going to be a pain, but I'm a little far in to stop, must forge on.

Anyone have a suggestion on a durable rattle can?

I used Rustoleum Smoke Grey over Rustoleum Flat Green self etching primer for the interior for my RV-8. It has been very durable thus far and is easy to touch up when needed.

a couple of tips

Buy a Spray Can Handle and wipe the nozzle every few squirts with a paper towel.

Before using the can, shake it up, put it in front of a small space heater for five minutes, shake it again, and squirt a little into a paper towel until you get pure paint.

Remember to start the can moving before pressing the trigger and to release the trigger before stopping. Thus, if you are going back and forth, you stop and start spraying at the end of each stroke. If you hold the trigger down all the time, you will load up paint at the end / start of each stroke.

Remember to start the can moving before pressing the trigger and to release the trigger before stopping. Thus, if you are going back and forth, you stop and start spraying at the end of each stroke. If you hold the trigger down all the time, you will load up paint at the end / start of each stroke.

This is one of the best tips that I think most who use rattle can don't understand. They start "squirting" right as they hit the part and then go back and forth just spraying at will.

I always try to be spraying before the paint hits the part and don't quit until afterwards. I also like to hit it with a couple "mist coats" before I start laying it down too much.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/professional/high-performance-enamel-spray

This is holding up well in my RV-7, easy to use, cheap, available at most hardware stores..looks nice.. I used the Light and Dark Machine Gray.

Sorry to bring this up from so long ago, but do you just use the enamel, not the professional primer version? I purchased some of the gloss white and it is pretty tough but it says to use a primer first. The enamel is much cheaper than the professional primer though!

Tractor Supply has a Ford Tractor Industrial Gray that matches Van's Powder Coating.

Have you used any of this? Did you use the roll on or the spray cans?

I'd like to spray down the interior and then use roll on for touch ups.

Back