What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Defective parts

Ron B.

Well Known Member
What is expected of GST and brokerage cost when Van's is shipping out a replacement part for defective part? I would have thought they would have shipped as N/C , warranty and no GST would have been charged. Another $50 bites the dust, oh well our Government needs it bad.

I have had a variety of unpleasant experiences moving aviation stuff back and forth across the Canadian Border. Both sides can and will charge you money that should not be due. If you document well, and are patient.... you can sometimes get it back. Often times it is just not worth it. But you live in such a nice country... !!! Count your blessings.

You should not pay any of the sales taxes, that much is very clear.

See here, a few bullets down in the "non-taxable importations" list:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/gnrl/txbl/mprtsxprts/mprtdgds-eng.html

"warranty replacement property and replacement parts supplied by a non-resident at no charge other than for shipping and handling"

Not sure about the paperwork required to prove that this is warranty claim part however. As you said, presumably this would have to be indicated by Van's on their shipping paperwork.

If it's worth it to you, you could probably go through some process to get your money back ...

Canadian taxes

Ron, there is a process to rebate the HST or GST (if you don't already know). I've done it a couple of times, although not recently. Of course it's time consuming but I would do it strictly on principal.
Rick
Southampton, Ont

Back