What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Before buying RV-4 kit, looking for ride in RV-4 or -8, -7, or -14... Please?

darlingm

I'm New Here
I'm really, really, really into this. More than happy to travel states away if needed! I'm in Canton, Michigan.

About to buy an RV-4 kit, and obtain my PPL in it along side a tailwheel endorsement. I can better justify buying an RV-4 by building in the savings over renting a Cessna for 40 hours. Granted it delays getting in the air quite a bit.

Hoping to get a backseat ride in an RV-4.

Would also be thrilled to get a backseat ride in an RV-8, or a side-seat ride in a RV-7 or RV-14.

My wife would love to sit in one for a moment to see how the spacing is. Luckily she's tiny, so I think even the RV-4 will be OK.

More than happy to pay the maximum allowable to do this, for the pro-rata share of the cost of the flight. (Only saying this, since it's my understanding an owner of one of these can't fly it commercially. Otherwise I'd be offering more.)

If anyone outside the Midwest runs across this post, I made a post in Midwest, Northeast, and Mid-Atlantic. Willing to travel for this. Looks like a mod combined my 3 posts in the different categories. (Figured that might happen, no problem with it.)

Multiple, cross-forum posts are not permitted per the posting rules. Your other two posts were deleted by the VAF forums owner, hisself, Mr. Doug. He really is a nice guy, and he has to have rules so we all get along. :) v/r Don Hull

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple thoughts

Although I am in NC, I will offer a few thoughts..(its what we do here!). I have a -4 that I built, and we have a -4,6A,8,9,7 and F1 Rocket at our field. Rides are easy, and I don't ask for donations...just get a good old ride and an earful of RV technobabble. On the other note, your really enthusiastic desire to build a -4 and obtain PPL/TW could be a 5-15 year endeavor, unless you have resources and lots of build time. The -4 is no easy project, and requires serious dedication. There are some nice flying examples on the market for much less $$ than you will build one for. I bought a 1/3partnership in a 46 T-Craft and got really TW current (300 hrs.)while building my -4, as the -4 isn't a good PPL platform unless fully equipped front and rear controls, a very light and patient qualified instructor at best. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat in particular about the -4.

There are about 25 RV's based at Ray Community just east of Romeo. Not that far from you. Nice drive up there.

Michael,

Your mention of 40 hours backs up your statement that you're new. Virtually no one (except Bob Hoover or someone who has unofficial experience flying with mom and dad) finishes in 40 hours. Last time I looked the average was over 60 hours. In an RV, as opposed to a 152, you'll need to factor in a few more hours on top of that. I don't want to sound discouraging, but you need realistic planning. Plan for 60 and good luck!

Welcome to the madness. You will have a great time.

If I read your post correctly you do not currently hold a PPL. Your plan is to build a 4 and then learn to fly in it. Is that correct? The first thing I would do is ask around among the local instructor community and see if any of them are willing to provide primary instruction in a tailwheel aircraft that does not have a complete set of controls in the rear seat. I think you might have a hard time finding somebody willing to do that. Not impossible but not common.
Perhaps a better plan is to build your 4, learn in something else and then transition to the 4.

Unless I'm wrong, he would have to have someone complete phase 1 for him, before he could take instruction in an experimental.

Aren't you the person who also opened (and abandoned) several threads on PoA, expressing your believe that owning an airplane would be significantly cheaper than renting a 152 for $89/h?

I don't mean to sound rude, but you might really want to take the advice pilots gave you on PoA and here on VAF serious: If you can't afford to rent for $89/h, owning is definitely not for you, as you might save a little bit, but carry all the risks which come with being an aircraft owner. Building an experimental to train it it, particularly something like an RV-4, appears to be entirely impractical.

Back