What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Canning

I had oil canning on a prior aircraft because of dark leading edges which, in direct sunlight, would heat up before the rest of the structure. You could roll the aircraft out of the hangar and into the sun, and a minute or two later, you'd hear the leading edges begin to oil can.

I wouldn't let that possibility push me away from a paint scheme I liked.

Black 8

A local RV 8 owner opted for a 100% black paint job. As soon as it was rolled out into the sun, the top wing skins looked like melted cheese on a burger in a BBQ. I thought it would be a good color if you were going Mach 3 at 70,000 ft

Black paint can heat up to twice OAT. Easily fly eggs on it.

RV-8 has oil can thump not related to paint but airspeed. Mine is so consistent slowing through 90 KIAS, I use it as IAS check :)

I've had my dark paint job for a couple of months - about 25 hours of flight time.

It's usually hangared, but has been parked outside for a few days on trips at very warm temps (warm for MN, South Dakota, & Wyoming) in July and early August - no oil canning on the ground or in flight.

i-DqLzz8b-XL.jpg

Oil can

Dark blue RV-3 and the upper outboard wing skins do this almost immediately when rolled in the sun. No adverse effects that I can tell though.

Back