What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Aerobatics

Littlewing

I'm New Here
My RV-4 is fixed pitch prop, no inverted oil or fuel, Carbourated.

Where can I get Aerobatic training that best mimics my plane?

Thanks

Don't be too concerned about trying to replicate your setup. Very basic aerobatic instruction doesn't require the use of inverted systems, and any decent aerobatic instructor will talk to you about your mission and your aircraft before flying. A Decathlon is a perfect airplane for intro instruction regardless of what type of aircraft you'll end up flying on your own. The type of aircraft you initially train in is not overly important. A decent instructor is. Every new aircraft type has its own considerations to keep in mind before flying acro for the first time, the RV included. But basics are basics, just like flight training in general. Sorry, don't have any personal references for you. IAC has a list of operators, but not all may be current -

https://www.iac.org/aerobatic-flight-schools/usa/TX

+1 on Sandifier.
I took Aerobatic intro lessons from Will Allen, an airshow performer and flight instructor. Then I got my own parachute and started doing spins & aileron rolls in the RV-4. Then I took lessons for loops and Cubans, also competition rolls and practiced them in the RV-4.
That was enough to get started in IAC primary class competition.
The RV-4 is 160 HP, carb, no inverted oil system.
Part way thru this process, I got my RV-8 (IO-360, Fixed prop, fuel injected, no inverted oil system) going and used it for competition, but in my final event for 2016, I was beaten by an RV-6 with a carb and no inverted oil system.
Go for it, you will have a ball!

Where do you live?

It's hard to advise without knowing your location...where are you located? I also have an RV-4 with same basic set-up, and there are some great people on here to advise. There are some resources in the area I live.

Aerobatic training

I'd recommend Greeg Koontz. He has an aerobatic course in a Decathlon and Bed & Breakfast for a dedicated weekend experience that you will find very enjoyable.

I'd recommend Greeg Koontz. He has an aerobatic course in a Decathlon and Bed & Breakfast for a dedicated weekend experience that you will find very enjoyable.

+1 on Greg. Here's his contact info:

GREG KOONTZ AEROBATICS AT SKY COUNTRY LODGE

ADDRESS: 2546 Slasham Road, Ashville, AL, 35953, USA

PHONE: 205-616-8176

EMAIL: [email protected]

WEB: www.gkairshows.com

AIRCRAFT: New Super Decathlon, Clipped-Wing Cub, J-3 Cub, Customers Aircraft (We have experience in most types)

COURSES: Tailwheel endorsement, Stall/spin recovery, Unusual attitude/upset training, Basic aerobatics, Competition aerobatics, RV aerobatics

AIRPORT: AL60 -- Ashville, AL

INSTRUCTOR: Greg Koontz: MCFI-A, ACE

NOTES: Bed & Breakfast Accomodations on our remote private airstrip. Primary & Sportsman Compitition. CFI Spin Certification. Airshow Waivers. Group Clinics at your site. BEGINNERS ARE OUR SPECIALTY. Teaching acro since 1974.

Back