What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing and wiring panel

SgtZim

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I'm looking for photos and information about doing the instrument panel set up and wiring. Lots of photos of finished panels here, but I'd like some ideas on where I can and can't mount stuff - like the ground block, fuse blocks, remote units, etc...

Is it ok to tie into (drill and attach things to) the cross braces between the gear towers? A question I will ask Van's before I do it, but guessing someone here has already asked or done that.

Should I just add structure - angles and plates to the instrument panel face to support the entire weight of mounted radios, or tie into the bag compartment walls to support the back of the radios? The Garmin GTN 625, and GNC 255 are of concern - they are the heavier and longer items attaching to the panel.

I'll have some room behind the "flat" instruments - gdu, intercom, and control panels, not sure if it'll be enough for remote units - comm, transponder, gad29, gea24. It will be tempting to just give up the forward bag compartment to put these boxes in.

I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions - and I really appreciate tips, ideas, and pictures.

Thanks!

Bruce

You should not need to attach your avionics to anything but the instrument panel. It's plenty strong to hold most avionics. I would consider making a removable panel between the forward baggage compartment and the back of the instrument panel for better access. I don't know how much remote equipment you need to mount but there will not be a lot of room behind the panel and it would certainly limit access to what will be panel mounted. I have some electronics mounted in the bottom of the "well" on the rights side of the forward baggage compartment with a cover over. You may need to provide cooling if you use that area. Good luck!

I suggest you start by looking at other people's websites. You are asking for a book's worth of information and it would be difficult to capture it all in one thread. I too have some of these same questions. I started with my panel layout and the equipment that I wanted. I chose a modular panel configuration but most have moved away from this arrangement since the displays can be removed from the panel and provide lots of access.

I did my panel using front panel express. They will do engraving and paint in any color that you pick for a small setup charge. This approach uses their tool but will require some CAD work on your part to make some of the cutouts.

I still haven't completely figured out where all of the various modules will be placed. I don't think you need to figure this out at the stage I'm at yet or even where you are. Things will change over the course of the build so I'm not going to worry about it until I get my panel installed.

The radio stack is typically mounted to the front panel using 3/4" angle. The the modules are tied together with straps in the rear. Some instruments are long and will need a hole cut in the sub-panel. Some folks provide support in the back by mounting a piece of angle to the sub-panel. For mine I haven't quite figured that out yet.

I suggest you start with what you know and work from there. Pick your instruments then come up with a layout. Let the group here review it and give you feedback. Move on from there.

Just to get you thinking...

Yours will be different but here's how I did mine. Look to the pros for neatness of wiring examples, but heck it works....

Fairly simple panel, labelling tape works fine

Left switches

Right switches

Behind panel wiring, note EMS on fabricated shelf and components mounted to forward door into baggage. Large service loops for removal of EFIS or entire panel. Also note cross bracing and angle mount for radios & glove box... Note limited depth for lower radio install...

Access through baggage is common. Do your own research wrt suitability...

I mounted ground forest of tabs on lower left firewall with through bolt to firewall forward tabs, battery and engine grounds. No photo...

Breaker / switch panel, pilot's lower right

Relays & stick grip bus passenger lower right

This was an interesting challenge to the build... Good luck with yours...

Thanks!

Thank you gentlemen. Those ideas really help a lot! Thanks especially for the photos. Really like the access panel concept - could even concave it some If I need to.

I checked with local shops about laser or jet cutting the panel - no takers so far (just web inquiries so far) Might just get Stein to cut the panel for me.

Have you looked at upnorth aviation for cutting your panel. I'm not there yet but plan on using them. Lets of positive reports about them here.

I had the same problem.

I fabricated a double shelf system that attaches to the cross braces. All remote boxes can be removed along with the upper shelves thru the front panel.

Some radios and other long avionics will need support to hold up the back. I made a brace from the top of the panel.
Be prepared to spend time with the panel hanging from support wires from the windshield roll bar weldaments. Wiring service loops should be long enough for this. The panel will be just above your legs so you can reach over and under it at the same time.
I installed a common ground block on the right side gear tower. It's ugly but easy to access when changing avionics and instruments.
I wouldn't drill the gear tower cross brace, but I do run a wire bundle across on it.
I made a small table from plywood and 2x6s that is level on the wing for tools and parts. Then I don't have to get in and out of the plane so much while working in the cockpit.
The front 2x6 goes in front of the leading edge, the second one is about a foot ahead of the flap and holds up the plywood table about level, but leaves enough room for my foot so I can get in and out of the plane.

Cup holder

Yours will be different but here's how I did mine. Look to the pros for neatness of wiring examples, but heck it works....

Fairly simple panel, labelling tape works fine

Left switches

Right switches

Behind panel wiring, note EMS on fabricated shelf and components mounted to forward door into baggage. Large service loops for removal of EFIS or entire panel. Also note cross bracing and angle mount for radios & glove box... Note limited depth for lower radio install...

Access through baggage is common. Do your own research wrt suitability...

I mounted ground forest of tabs on lower left firewall with through bolt to firewall forward tabs, battery and engine grounds. No photo...

Breaker / switch panel, pilot's lower right

Relays & stick grip bus passenger lower right

This was an interesting challenge to the build... Good luck with yours...

Can you tell me where you got the cup holder?

Back