What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headset/intercom issue

petehowell

Well Known Member
I gave rides on Saturday to a friend from Argentina and the Stevenator (just back from training in SLC).

The rides went great, but we had an odd issue with my passenger headset. As soon as the power would come on, the headset(Older Marv Golden/Lightspeed Golden Eagle ANR unit) would emit a loud squeal. We worked around it by turning the intercom volume all the way down. There we could hear each other, but the squeal was almost gone.

Today I swapped in another headset and it did not exhibit the squeal. Furthermore, I found that when the squeal was present on my headset, if I unplugged the mic cord from the plane and plugged it back in, the squeal would go away until the panel power was cycled, upon which time, it would return.

I need to try the headset in question in another plane to isolate the problem, but wondered if anyone else had run across this before.

Pete

A simple check - clean the headset plugs, if that works you're good to go. This type of issue is usually because of a poor contact (ground) with the jacks.

Jake J

I gave rides on Saturday to a friend from Argentina and the Stevenator (just back from training in SLC).

The rides went great, but we had an odd issue with my passenger headset. As soon as the power would come on, the headset(Older Marv Golden/Lightspeed Golden Eagle ANR unit) would emit a loud squeal. We worked around it by turning the intercom volume all the way down. There we could hear each other, but the squeal was almost gone.

Today I swapped in another headset and it did not exhibit the squeal. Furthermore, I found that when the squeal was present on my headset, if I unplugged the mic cord from the plane and plugged it back in, the squeal would go away until the panel power was cycled, upon which time, it would return.

I need to try the headset in question in another plane to isolate the problem, but wondered if anyone else had run across this before.

I ran into a similar situation with a friends RV-12. He had the GTR200 radio with built in intercom. Only one headset type would cause the squeal. It turned out the mic gain was different on that headset and it had to be adjusted down in the config menu to eliminate the squeal. It's something to look at depending on your intercom setup.

Pete

A simple check - clean the headset plugs, if that works you're good to go. This type of issue is usually because of a poor contact (ground) with the jacks.

Jake J

Yep - grounding makes sense. Will give that a whirl. Thanks!!

Back