What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cold in my Factory Built

Since my RV 12 is factory built Vans tells me I can't modify the engine with a Thermostasis, I have applied foil tape to the oil cooler and that's helping with oil temp but my Cylinder Head Temps are consistently low and there's no cabin heat available. Can I put foil tape over the air inlets at the front of the cowl to try to warm things up, or carve a plug out of Ethafoam that would partically block those two round openings?

The simplest solution is to take a sheet of aluminum and cut to cover a portion of your radiator, bend the sides to make a lip to hug the sides of the radiator and cut and bend a couple of tabs to hold position at top. If done carefully it will slide down between the radiator and seal with the bottom cowling on and keep a tight seal. You can then insert or remove with only the top cowling off. I also add a piece of aluminum duct tape on top just in case to hold it in position so it could not move out of position. I cover about 40% of my radiator.

Duct tape works for the front but once you know how much blockage cut a piece of aluminum the correct blockage and drill holes to match the oil cooler bolt location. I slotted one so you only need to remove one and loosen the other to either add or remove. I also painted black to match my radiator. Covering about 40% gave me about 190 degrees oil temperature today at freezing temperatures.

Last edited:
If able ... get some aluminum tape (in a roll) and if u can reach back and cover maybe 1/3 or so of the radiator . If the OAT is below 35F, that will help keep the temps up. You need around 180-190 to get good cabin heat.

Check these two threads from the past that tackle this problem

Check these two threads on the subject
I use these when the high for the day is below 40 degrees.
Between seasons I use the oil cooler cover only and may put it on in the morning and after breakfast take it off for the return flight when things have warmed up a bit.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=51667&highlight=oil+radiator+cover

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=106889&highlight=oil+radiator+cover

Last edited:
Back