What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTR 20 Power Issue

Jasonm

Well Known Member
Running power to my radio (GTR 20) and the specs call for a an 18 awg wire but it's too big to crimp a pin on for the connector. How is this connection made? Is it acceptable to crimp on a smaller 22 awg wire about an inch long and then splice the 18 awg to it?

Thanks

Running power to my radio (GTR 20) and the specs call for a an 18 awg wire but it's too big to crimp a pin on for the connector. How is this connection made? Is it acceptable to crimp on a smaller 22 awg wire about an inch long and then splice the 18 awg to it?

Thanks

Hello Jason,

The wiring diagram for the GTR20 on page 26-3 of the Rev. Y G3X Installation Manual calls for 20 AWG wire for power. Hopefully there is no place in the manual which contradicts this.

The size 20 pin used in the standard density connector used on the GTR 20 will accept a 20 AWG wire.

We use 20 AWG wire in all of our planes to power this radio.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve, I saw that too but was going off the wire size set by the Vertical Power wiring diagram. It's calling for 18 AWG wire to power the radio. I'll proceed with 20.

The VP-X wire sizes on their planner are to be used as a guide, sometimes an installer will use different pins for different reasons so I'd use only the wire size an avionics manufacturer recommends.
FWIW - some radios/Audio Panels use 18 AWG but split it into 2 x 20 awg (they have at least 2 power pins) so that they will fit the dsub connectors.
This can be typical of high density connectors too.:)

Back