What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

T-905 Tank attach bracket

FlyingHippo

I'm New Here
I am about to drill the fuel tank attach brackets to the nose of the inboard tank ribs. I have checked dimensions of the bracket and they look good. There simply does not appear to be the space to fit the bracket after the rib to skin rivet have been set. It seems the set rivets will interfere with the bracket.
Has anyone needed to file notches into the attach bracket to clear the rib to skin rivets or am I missing a trick here?

Many thanks for advice or guidance,
Neil

I seem to recall that it was tight, but I didn't notch the bracket. The position is fairly loose, since the other side (bracket on the fuselage) gets its position determined when you fit the wings and there is plenty of slop on that bracket to match drill it to the fuselage.

I seem to recall that I didn't have any problems fitting T-905 on the left tank, but for some reason on the right tank when I re-checked the fit with the end rib in place and riveted, that I needed to slightly scotchbrite it in a couple of places. It wasn't much, it was more so it just had a teeny bit of clearance. Maybe I'd just not quite got the right shape initially.

Mine was really close.
If I recall correctly, I did one as per instructions. I think I waited till I had the rib to skin riveted before I did the second one, because I had remembered it was soooooo close.

Thanks for the insights!

Sounds like it is close. I might drill the bracket after the rib has been riveted to the skin.

Notching is ok.
I would much prefer to rivet that rib sandwich together prior to mounting it to the tank skin. Dealing with the long rivets, sealant, and awkward location is a mess about to happen. This has worked on the 18 or so tanks I?ve delt with in the past.

Back