What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 brake master cylinders

Capt

Well Known Member
Hi guys.
Would anyone know the parts required to overhaul the two brake master cylinders on an 8? Mine are starting to show signs of weeping where the push rod goes in, 20 years old they are.
Thanks.

Hi guys.
Would anyone know the parts required to overhaul the two brake master cylinders on an 8? Mine are starting to show signs of weeping where the push rod goes in, 20 years old they are.
Thanks.

Over the years, Van's Aircraft have used two different manufacturers for the master cylinders. The early kits used Cleveland master cylinders and the later kits used Matco.

How do you tell what is installed? IF they were installed as they came, the Cleveland will be silver and the Matco will be gold.

The Cleveland supplied with my kit used the 10-30 master cylinders. Aircraft Spruce should sell Parker Aerospace Cleveland part number O-Rings but the parts list also uses the MS28775 O-Ring part number. The MS28775 O-Ring part number is the same part and should be less expensive.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-28-at-1-16-29-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-08-28-at-1-16-58-PM.png

Cleveland 10-30 uses:
Part Number Description
101-00800 MS28775-110
101-01100 MS28775-113
101-00800 MS28775-110
101-00100 MS28775-006

The above parts should be part of Cleveland repair kit 199-512.

Matco rebuild kit for RV master cylinders that I have rebuilt are: MC-4 or Aircraft Spruce part number 06-02998.

Last edited:
Awesome, thank you for the info. One of mine had a little oil on the top and I had started to research this. I cleaned it and it hasn?t come back so it still might be good but at least now I have the info for when it comes time to rebuild.

Get a bulk O-ring kit

I bought one of the multi size bulk Buna-N O-ring kits, and it has the standard sizes for everything up to 2" . Probably cost me less than a dollar to re-build both Cleveland masters on my RV-4...and there are enough to re-build them about 10 more times. 15 minute job.

Thanks guys, always love the info one can get from the vast experience that exists in these forums:)

Recently overhauled my right Cleveland 10-30 cylinder using the appropriate overhaul kit from Aircraft Spruce. Catch it now before you find yourself going in circles in the run-up area at Jackson Hole airport as I did. LOL! :)

Back