What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

12is Baggage Compartment trim

Jshepherd

Just ordered my finish kit from Vans and I?m working with Abby at Flightline to get my interior ordered. I am on the fence whether to get the baggage trim or not. All the pictures I can find online are of the legacy 12 baggage area. Anybody have a pic of the baggage trim installed in a 12is fuselage they can share or direct me to.

Thanks
Jeff S.

Speaking of fuel tanks... now that some 12iS's are flying... how difficult is it to pour Mogas fuel from 5 gallon bottle with tank filler neck located forward over the wing? I think us old geezers will need to devise a better way to get fuel into the tank short of buying 100LL at FBO.

Hope this helps.

oJ4.jpg

Speaking of fuel tanks... now that some 12iS's are flying... how difficult is it to pour Mogas fuel from 5 gallon bottle with tank filler neck located forward over the wing? I think us old geezers will need to devise a better way to get fuel into the tank short of buying 100LL at FBO.

Don't use 5 gal cans use two 10.5 gal Flo-Fast with a hand pump works great.
Here is the link.

https://flofast.com/product/flo-fast-professional-21-gallon-system/

Also use the Mr. Funnel AF15CB Fuel Filter when I fill the Flo-Fast at the gas pump.

oJQ.png

I hate to be a stick-in-the-mud, but I?m looking at Dave?s photo in post #5 and I?m trying to visualize gaining access to the high pressure fuel pumps and filters behind the rear baggage bulkhead. I know rear bulkhead has a large removable center section but how does a person physically squeeze into the small space behind the fuel tank and actually do work? When somebody accomplishes this on a completed airplane maybe they can report out their findings?

Unfortunately, Jim, I can... being within about two weeks from calling in my DAR, I was the unfortunate recipient of the iS SB on the fuel pumps. So, out they went. It wasn?t as difficult as I had imagined, but would certainly prefer they were a bit more accessible. I?m 63 years old, 5?-9? and 180 lbs, so others with different specs may have other opinions. The generous width of the opening Van?s provided in the baggage compartment bulkhead certainly helps. Laying a padded sheet of plywood over the baggage compartment floor flange made it a bit more comfortable, but you need to remove at least one of the seats, lay across the fuel tank, and lean into the tali cone area. The pumps are mounted on a common plate, along with the bypass valves and second-stage filter. By disconnecting two AN fuel fittings, which are near the bulkhead opening, the fuel pressure sensor connector and main & aux fuel pump power connectors allows the assembly to drop out after removing 6 machine screws accessible from inside the baggage compartment bulkhead. I suspect replacing them will be a bit more difficult, but unfortunately, have not yet been able to perform that task.

So, not simple, but certainly doable. When my personal specs change in a few years down the road, I may have to try to find a willing teenager to perform the task. 🙂

I'm a retired guy who acquired a completed -iS about three months ago. I use 5 gal jugs but only fill each to 4 at most. Any heavier and I'd be challenged. Filling to 3 makes the job even easier.

Back