What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Michelin Airstop Tubes

Dean Pichon

Well Known Member
Today I had a flat one on the the mains (RV-4). I went on line to order a replacement Michelin Airstop Tube (500 x 5) and found the price has doubled since I last purchased one a couple of years ago. According to my records, I last paid $60. Now they are going for $120 at Desser Tire and similar prices everywhere else I queried. Does anyone have a recommendation for an alternate (with similar leak performance to the Michelin product) or a better source to buy?

I have been using Airstop for years, but this new price is exorbitant.

Thanks,

Dean

I’ve been seeing those prices go up as well.

Unfortunately, I have never found an alternative to the Michelins that have the same air-holding capability. I put air in our RV tires about once every six months - mostly becasue it seems like I should, not becasue they are actually low.

So, how much is that worth?

Today I had a flat one on the the mains (RV-4). I went on line to order a replacement Michelin Airstop Tube (500 x 5) and found the price has doubled since I last purchased one a couple of years ago. According to my records, I last paid $60. Now they are going for $120 at Desser Tire and similar prices everywhere else I queried. Does anyone have a recommendation for an alternate (with similar leak performance to the Michelin product) or a better source to buy?

I have been using Airstop for years, but this new price is exorbitant.

Thanks,

Dean

Dean:

Mine are 20-years old and I think were $35-each back when I purchased them. Typically I only add air every 12 months. Yes many items are now four times what I paid for when I built the airplane.

Looks like VAF advertiser Aircraft Spruce has the 5.00 X 5 tubes for $110 each.

Dean:

Mine are 20-years old ...

Looks like VAF advertiser Aircraft Spruce has the 5.00 X 5 tubes for $110 each.

Hi Gary,

I have been following the practice of replacing tubes whenever I replace tires. If your tubes are 20 years old, I assume you keep the old tubes when you replace tires?

Given that the tubes cost as much as more than the tires, I would like to consider using the old tube with a new tire. Is this what you have been doing and are there any issues to consider?

Thanks,

Dean

Tubes

I used Aero Classic Leakguard tubes on my 4 and use them on my 7. Only add air in late fall when the temperature drops and check it during the annual. Less expensive than the Michelins.

Our flying club noticed a major reduction in flat tires when they started changing tubes with every tire change a few years ago. I do the same hoping to reduce the risk of an off airport flat.

Al

Hi Gary,

I have been following the practice of replacing tubes whenever I replace tires. If your tubes are 20 years old, I assume you keep the old tubes when you replace tires?

Given that the tubes cost as much as more than the tires, I would like to consider using the old tube with a new tire. Is this what you have been doing and are there any issues to consider?

Thanks,

Dean

Correct. I do not replace the tubes. I follow: IRAN

I.R.A.N.
Inspect Repair (or Replace) As Necessary

Typically a 500 hour mag inspection is also IRAN. 500 hour mag inspection is NOT an overhaul.

I look at it this way, if I re-use tubes and get a flat away from home, how much is that flat likely to cost me in time, money and a p*ssed wife :eek:
New tubes are cheap insurance.

I look at it this way, if I re-use tubes and get a flat away from home, how much is that flat likely to cost me in time, money and a p*ssed wife :eek:
New tubes are cheap insurance.

And it's still no guarantee - I had a flat nosewheel on landing, replaced the tube, and last than two months later came back to a nosewheel flat in the hangar.

And it's still no guarantee - I had a flat nosewheel on landing, replaced the tube, and last than two months later came back to a nosewheel flat in the hangar.

Because you can't buy a nose wheel tube that is any good, the fix for that is replace the wheel with something tubeless like the Beringer.
If I had the spare funds/time, I'd replace all the tube/tires with Tubeless Beringer units.

Last edited:
Not sure what brand of tube came with my kit but I check and replace air yearly at annual inspection. Never had a flat or low tire. Going on my third set of tires over 12 years and 800hrs.
doug

Because you can't buy a nose wheel tube that is any good, the fix for that is replace the wheel with something tubeless like the Beringer.
If I had the spare funds/time, I'd replace all the tube/tires with Tubeless Beringer units.

Got a link for those? You've got my interest now.

I was a big fan of M airstop tubes till I got a bad batch couple years ago. Two brand new tubes went flat within a month. I found a micro crack along the perimeter on both. Likely a long term storage fold. Since then I have good luck with thicker butil tubes I was able to source from SkyGeek. Reusing them second time with new tires. Always carry a spare.

Same air-stop tubes in my rocket since new in 2006, 1100 hours. I add air once or twice a year. The tires have been replaced a number of times.
I think that even at the higher prices that is pretty good value.

13 year old tubes !!

Same air-stop tubes in my rocket since new in 2006, 1100 hours. I add air once or twice a year. The tires have been replaced a number of times.
I think that even at the higher prices that is pretty good value.

You must be living right. I would have thought that age and dry rot would have put those tubes out to pasture a long time ago.

Maybe I?m ?wasting? money but I replace the tubes every time I change tires. I just wish I bought my Michelin Airstops back in December when I decided it was time for new tires. By the time I got around to buying them last month, it cost me an extra $30 per tube.

I’ve been seeing those prices go up as well. Unfortunately, I have never found an alternative to the Michelins that have the same air-holding capability.

According to Tim at Desser Tire, the secret to the Michelin air-holding capability is that they are made of butyl rubber rather than natural rubber. Desser offers an equivalent butyl rubber tube with the same metal, right-angle valve stem that they manufacture themselves, the AeroClassic Leakguard for $64.53. Or you can stick with the Michelin Airstop at $118.

Here is the link:
https://www.desser.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=9595CE802BE64C98A22D1A292CD51162

Erich

Last edited:
According to Tim at Desser Tire, the secret to the Michelin air-holding capability is that they are made of buty rubber rather than natural rubber. Desser offers an equivalent butyl rubber tube with the same metal, right-angle valve stem that they manufacture themselves, the AeroClassic Leakguard for $64.53. Or you can stick with the Michelin Airstop at $118.

Here is the link:
https://www.desser.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=9595CE802BE64C98A22D1A292CD51162

Erich

Hi Erich,

Thanks for the lead. I will give them a try the next time I need tubes!

Dean

According to Tim at Desser Tire, the secret to the Michelin air-holding capability is that they are made of butyl rubber rather than natural rubber. Desser offers an equivalent butyl rubber tube with the same metal, right-angle valve stem that they manufacture themselves, the AeroClassic Leakguard for $64.53. Or you can stick with the Michelin Airstop at $118.

Here is the link:

Erich

Thanks Erich - I have been aware of those tubes from Desser for years, and know quite a few that have tried them - and no one has reported that they hold air as long as the Michelins (I have had the same experience). Not playing down Desser - I use their tires almost exclusively - but there is some other magic in the Michelins that no one else seems to have figured out....

Paul

I heard their retreads are even better than the new tires. Which model tires do you use Paul if you wouldn?t mind my asking.

I?ve used their retreads for over forty years - i think the last time I ordered Monsters. Man, I haven?t ordered tires for a couple of years now!

Paul

My decision has been made

Thanks Paul. You can?t get any recommendation better than that.:)

I have used Monster retreats a number of times, they last much longer than other brands and have had great luck with them. The only thing is that they are slightly bigger so you might need to modify wheel pants gap a bit

Desser Elite Retreads

I've been getting great wear out of the Desser Elite retreads. They are a little smaller than the Monsters.

I have used Monster retreats a number of times, they last much longer than other brands and have had great luck with them. The only thing is that they are slightly bigger so you might need to modify wheel pants gap a bit

I've heard that somewhere before. Must be true.

take a look at the RV 10 main gear airstops at spruce

$83 for straight stem, $175 for angled stem! more than double just for the stem!

Phil
RV-10
Bountiful, Utah

Back