What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing AOA in a RV-9

bailout11

I'm New Here
Has anyone installed a AOA in a RV-9. Im not sure how to route the second tube. Also do I need to use 1/4 tubing?
Thanks

Parallel Holes

I have the Dynon pitot/AOA. Drilled a set of parallel holes to the existing holes (for pitot line). I made them the same size with same snap-bushings. Also used tubing the same as those in the Dynon unit. At the wing root to fuselage I converted to flexible tubing.

We had one in our 9a. I never found much use for it.
It did have standard 1/4 tubing.

We had one in our 9a. I never found much use for it.
It did have standard 1/4 tubing.
I have it with my SkyView system and am the opposite.

I fly out of a smallish grass strip surrounded by trees, and use the AoA as a guide on base & final, particularly to avoid pulling the nose around too much on the final turn. It's a big help getting the -9 down and stopped in under 1200'.

Second set of holes, but only out to where the pitot tube location is.

IMG_4887-M.jpg

You can see the pitot mast at the bottom of this picture.
IMG_4888-M.jpg

A word of caution about the inboard rib (under the wing walk doubler). You don't have much room here to aim the lines into the fuselage. If I had to do this over, I would have put the second hole much lower below the middle (factory) hole where they will enter the fuselage below the aileron control rod. Maybe even leave the middle hole empty and put two holes below it to make the turn easier. The lines have to make a pretty sharp downward turn and with the wings on, there just isn't any space there.
IMG_4886-M.jpg

From inside the fuselage under the pilot seat, you can see that I have the two lines coming in well down below the controls. They go into a conduit that heads back behind the baggage bulkhead where they meet up with the static lines and where the Dynon ADAHRS is located.
IMG_4885-M.jpg

I have it with my SkyView system and am the opposite.

I fly out of a smallish grass strip surrounded by trees, and use the AoA as a guide on base & final, particularly to avoid pulling the nose around too much on the final turn. It's a big help getting the -9 down and stopped in under 1200'.

Agreed, I use mine all the time, love it.

In Addition to What Bruce Said

At the wing root I used a heat gun to warm up the tubing and rolled it around a piece of PVC to develop a nice bend without kinking the tubing. This then enters the fuselage where I Tee'd it to provide Pitot/Static to the Autopilot & Alt Static Source switch on the panel, and back to the ADAHRS modules behind the baggage compartment.

I have found the heat gun to be indispensable working with the Pitot/Static/AOA tubing. There are some locations in the 9 that just don't have much room, but are your only option for some routing.

The AOA system is far better in your approaches than any stall warning buzzer. At first I thought about mounting the AOA indicator on the glare shield. Rob Hickman questioned my thinking on that and I went with having the display in the EFIS. I find it more than sufficient. On a personal note, I really enjoy pegging the AOS at the "donut" and jockeying the throttle to maintain vertical alignment on approach; then, just before touching down, to hear "bitching Betty" say Angle-Angle-Push is a treat letting you know you aced that one.

Last edited:
Back