What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your RV-4 project!

Dayton's RV4 progress

10002573hm.jpg

The next thing is to go after the gear leg fairings

To The Hanger

I trailered my Fuselage to the hanger tonite.
10002661ob.jpg

This is the Hitch that I used ( Tail Wheel Aircraft are Great!)
10002674rh.jpg

I knew that my son's VW towing lights be would handy.
10002697kg.jpg

Last edited:
Canopy Skirt

Hey Dayton, nice job on the canopy skirt around the back. Not many people proudly show that part of their project off! (I'm one of them...). Rest looks good also.

Grant

RV-4 Status

Getting the cowl fitted and the baffling done. Getting closer to having a finished RV.

Philip Mercier
RV-4
Abbotsford BC.

Canopy Install Info

Dayton,

Great job on the Canopy installation!
Care to relate to the rest of the "canopy yet to be installed crowd" your method of creating the nice bend and fit of the skirt to the canopy on your plane. I've done some tests using the method that's in the building manual and have had no luck at all. I've also heard that there's an edge-seaming tool (similar to one that Bob Avery sells... the one with two small nylon wheels only larger), but I have no idea where to even look at one, much less try it and possibly buy it.

I think I speak for all the "canopy yet to be installed crowd" that your sage words of experience would be very appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Bill Freckman
Grapevine, TX

Canopy Building

Thanks for the kind words Bill

I uploaded my builder log to the web on the Kitlog.com web page Go there and look at my web page and the procedure for the canopy is there. I hope that will help, Also if you do a search on Vansairforceforums for starting canopy my thread may come up :)

Last edited:
Canopy Seaming Tool

Bill,
I've got the tool. It's currently in the hanger, but I was going over to the hanger sometime today anyway to prep everything for my Christmas flight to Ft. Myers. Since I live in Bedford, maybe I could just drop it off at your house sometime. Give me a call.
Andy

Rv4 #2667

Here are some pics of my -4 ...12 years and counting, but near ready for paint. Power is an O-320H2AD with a Sterba prop, lall electric VFR panel.I hope to be in the air this year. I am based at Marchmont Plantation Airpark(6NC8) near Winston Salem NC. I welcome anyone who wants to drop in and chat...love to see RV's come by.
frontview3zy.jpg
sideview2qs.jpg

Hi Steve
It looks like you are well along with your four. I was wondering where in Northern England you live. I was just in Liverpool for a visit to family in May, and was wondering where in the area their might be four owner that on a subsquent visit I might look up. I have a four in eastern Canada. Moved here long ago when I was a kid but visit England from time to time...I've been wearing the England T shirt around town now that the World Cup is on.
[email protected]
Joe Hine

After being away from the project for almost 5 month, I've been back at it and worked on a variety of small projects. this includes the FAB airbox, making and fitting my fluid lines including finishing up much of the brake lines including the parking brake. I put my Odyssey battery on the firewall and installed my XM radio for in-flight entertainment. I installed a strut to support the canopy. I put the gascolator on the firewall and ran my throttle and mixture cables. A little work on the interior included insulating the floor of the forward fuselage. My current project is re-doing the cowl and converting to 4" round inlets. This will be combined with a fiberglass plenum. I also modified the placement of the horizontal cowl pins to be able to insert them from the rear.

June updates
July updates
August updates

All this while I"m trying to get my brothers RV7-A up in the air.

Recent progress with G-IKON

For the simple reason that it has taken Orange plc two weeks to deliver a replacement broadband modem, I have been almost incommunicado for a while. Bad news, I am back with lots of questions!

In the meantime I have made a bit of progress with the -4, so if you want to see where I have got to, please take a look. Address below.

PS If you ever have the opportunity to get any telephony service from Orange, my advice is ....DONT!

Bueno Blog!

Hi Steve,
I finally got a rainy day off here in FL and looked over your site. Highly enjoyable. It's funny how so many RV4 guys think the same twisted flying thoughts...:) I recently delivered a 180 C/S 7A 1800nm to Idaho for it's new owner, very nice airplane, but like you so eloquently put; boring. Even after landing at Leadville, CO (9927')and crossing the Rockies with an autopilot, the side by side nosedragger wasn't my Earl Grey.
BTW, your home airstrip and mine are nearly identical in length and shape, my -4 has no worries getting in or out.
Nice Cub! I spent most of my young life (before the AF) towing sailplanes and banners with a Scout, another great airplane. Keep banging rivets, I want an invite to come watch the test hop...

Rob Ray

RV4 blog

Smokey - thanks for the kind words. Until the phone company gets its finger out I cant update the blog, but the build continues. The engine frame and gear legs go in shortly.

Yes, Supercubs and Scouts are great. I never had an F16! Lots of Tornados in my airspace though. Most of my towing was with Pawnees though also 180 Supercubs and the French Robin.

Re the runway, getting out will be easy. Getting in to 1020'. I will practice elsewhere before I bring the -4 back.

You have an open invitation anytime.

Best wishes, Steve.

Last edited:
Dayton's RV4 progress

The painting is done and I am assembling all the parts. This weekend I will try to do the first engine start

0000541gw8.jpg
[/IMG]

0000538az5.jpg
[/IMG]

This is the plate I had to make for my P-Mag installation
0000542pl3.jpg

Dayton,

That is one gorgeous RV-4! My dad and I snuck a peek in your hangar last weekend. :D

Congratulations on the new dog, too.

Kelly

Red Head Back In Bed

Wow is she beautiful.And Red.Good luck on your start up and dont forget to
chaulk the mains. SuperDaveRV10 :)

Beautiful RV-4

Dayton,
That is one beautiful RV-4. You didn't post a picture of the throttle side of the cockpit. I was wondering what throttle quadrant you used. I know this guy that makes a fantastic throttle quad unit. His name is...Oh yeah... It's you!
Nice airplane. I am looking forward to a first flight report. Fly safe.

The Last project Photo

Here is the latest image and the last of my project. Tomorrow the FAA inspector will be at my hanger 10:00 am and any kind of luck I will be able to fly it soon.
0000547qn6.jpg

Oil Cooler

Dayton - nice looking -4. One question. Where did you put the oil cooler? Can you post a picture showing it. Thanks and good luck with first flight

A BIG step forward today - the wings go on!

Today we put the wings on G-IKON! See here for pictures.

It gave me a huge sense of progress with the project.

Nice work Joe!!!

Looks good Joe. I really like what I can see of your shop. You live in a palace?

Brian Vickers, Bainbridge Island, WA
RV4 finishing
Still driving a spam can while building continues

Slow Methodical Progress

Progress...slow and steady! The canopy is just about done. Just a few final details.
The interior is almost done....leather seats are done and stored. Between wiring the instruments and working on the empennage I keep looking for things to do!!! NOT!
BTW, that's a PennYan built 0-360 hanging out front. It'll be turning a Hartzell C/S prop. (not shown in picture).
Pretty simple panel...G-Meter/Clock,XCOM760, Microair T2000, Steam AS, Garmin 296, AIM-1 Engine Monitor +, ADI, Digital Alt and VSI

Would like to see it

Hi Bill,

Could I come over and see it some time. I live about 15 minutes from Hicks. My 4 should be heading to the airport in a month or two.

At the Hangar...

Tim,

Give me a call to make sure I'll br there. I'm going out on Wednesday evening and then won't be there till probably this Sunday.

Bill

817-705-6300

"Narrow" minded...

Very Cool! It's great to see a future "Narrow Deck" conical mount RV4. Mine was that way for 11 years before I sold the engine last year and went "Dyno"...

Rob Ray

Bill,
Very nice! Could you identify that interior paint and color please? Is it white or a light gray?

Bill,

I second both of Dan Horton's motions ! Very nice looking. I too am interested in knowing what paint and what color that is.

Terry R.
Mahomet, IL
RV-9A QB fuse

Interior Paint Color

It's just Van's gray (the powder coating color). I got the spec for the color and order rattle cans from the same company that supplies Van's powder coating (Cardinal). They will sell in a case lot (12 cans). I seem to remember it being about $52 for the case. 12 cans may seem like a lot, but I seem to go through it pretty fast.

<<rattle cans from the same company that supplies Van's powder coating (Cardinal).>>

Is that the A-4100 acrylic enamel from the touch-up products line?

Cardinal Paint Info

To all,

The Cardinal Industrial Finishes color code is A-4108-GR230. I bought 12 cans of air dry Acrylic Enamel. The cost: $5.05 (1 case). The minimum order is actually 8 cans.
Their phone number is 323-283-0335. I have spoken to "George" several times. Their website is: www.cardinalpaint.com
This paint isn't powder coating, but it goes on easily and it's easy to touch up!

Good Luck!

Back