What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Problem with Val Com 760 radio

freegespeed

Well, I was lucky I had my back up Icom hand held tranceiver on my cross country flight to French Valley from San Diego today. Out of nowhere I suddenly couldn't get .50 on the second and third toggles of my Val radio. I could work many other combinations but not that one, which is important, as it's part of my home tower's frequency down here at Brown Field.

The manual says that voltage fluxuations can change the frequencies to unselected numbers, but that is not exactly my problem. My second and third toggles are skipping certain numbers and working fine on others.

I did have a panel circuit breaker pop on me today in the hanger after my cigarette lighter adapter for my gps came apart in the plug hole. I fixed the lighter adapter, pushed back the circuit breaker and it all went back to normal. I doubt this would a factor because the Val radio problem occured at the end of the flight after an hour and a half of normal operation.

I don't see many of these radios out there but I thought I'd give ita shot, so if anyone can steer me in some general direction I'll start working on this problem. I e-mailed the manufacturer today so I should here something them soon.

Thanks, Clark

What ever happened?

Hi Clark
A couple of mounts ago you posted a problem with you Val com
radio. I'm intrested in finding out what happened to your radio.
I have 2 Vals in my "6" and have had excelent service from them. (over 2 years now). Except for the crapy solder job I did on one of the antenna conections.
Thanks
Rich

Results of Val problem

houndsfour said:
Hi Clark
A couple of mounts ago you posted a problem with you Val com
radio. I'm intrested in finding out what happened to your radio.
I have 2 Vals in my "6" and have had excelent service from them. (over 2 years now). Except for the crapy solder job I did on one of the antenna conections.
Thanks
Rich

Hello Houndsfour,

To make a short story even shorter, the problem went away on the next flight and, it has made no return appearance. I wrote the Val people and they were prompt with an e-mail to me saying that this was a glitch that they had not yet run accross. They offered to look at my radio(for a charge) but it was all a moot point because the problem went away. I have done a whole bunch of flying in the last couple months, and as far as I can tell the radio works perfect. I do wish they had a manual squelch control on it however.

Cheers

Thanks for your reply.
When you talked to VAL did they happen to tell you that they will be redesiging
the 720? Last time I called them for help when installing a new intercom, I was told that they may have the new radio at Oshkosh. They will do away with the
toggel switchs and add a "flop" frequency slide switch and a rotory frequency select switch. Hope they do change the switches.
Well have fun flying and maybe we'll meet at some airport one day.
Rich

Back