What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Towbar for RV-7A

Mike,
I second the Bogert recommendation. In addition to the Bogert bar, get the Bogert tow pin kit which replaces the two tow bolts with extended-length bolts:

04-pin-kit-RVA2-550px.jpg

These longer bolts are easier for the Bogert bar to grab and hold, and extend nearly to the surface of the nose fairing. I cut holes into the fairing centered directly over the tow bolts:

FP17112014A0005R.jpg

I also applied shrink tube to the Bogert bar to help protect the finish of my nose fairings:

FP17112014A0005S.jpg

Do-it-yourself was easy and cheap (free). An old wooden crutch and some scrap metal from the junk box. I had two steel bushings that fit the tow pins perfectly. I also added spacers to the tow pins. Works fine.

IMG_7341.JPG

+1 for the Bogert bar.

I found a regular AN bolt head would fit inside of the Bogert bar without modification, so I removed the allen head bolts and installed the AN bolt with about 10 washers under it to get nearly the same effect as the Bogert tow pin kit.

For my 9A I purchased the tow bar that Wag Aero makes. I think it is a lighter weight bar than the Bogart. Reasonably priced but I did have to put in a stronger spring to hold the bar tight to the grab bolts to keep it from jumping out.

Last edited:
Vans RV12 bar

I have the Bogert tow bar and like it fine, but I noticed that, transition trainer, Mike Seager was using the very light weight, aluminum, RV12 tow bar from Vans on Old Blue (6A), so, that's what I bought to carry in the baggage compartment of my 6A. I've used it for over a year, and it hasn't broken even though it was designed for the lighter 12.

John

I have the Bogert tow bar and like it fine, but I noticed that, transition trainer, Mike Seager was using the very light weight, aluminum, RV12 tow bar from Vans on Old Blue (6A), so, that's what I bought to carry in the baggage compartment of my 6A. I've used it for over a year, and it hasn't broken even though it was designed for the lighter 12.

John

Anyone know if it will fit a -7A with the "pressure recovery" wheel pants? I like the Bogert bar, but it is steel so it throws my ADAHRS off a few degrees when I travel with it in the baggage area (plus, it's heavy...an aluminum one would be great!).

Thanks!

Wheel pants

RV7Flyer,

I think my 6A has similar nose wheel to your 7a. I believe I bought the finish kit in 2011 and the pants are pressure recovery type. My plane weighs about 1060lbs and I've hauled it up slight inclines with the Vans bar. The tow bar arms are flexible, and you pull them together with a Velcro strap to hold them on the bolts. Certainly not heavy duty, but they are much better than hauling heavy steel bar to me.

The main issue may be that the 7A with full tanks weighs more than the 6A with full tanks. But, given your ADHRS issue I think it would be worth a try.

John

Last edited:
Back