What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

W-726 Tie Down Spacer

SteveL

Good morning and Happy Belated Thanksgiving to all!
Does anyone know or remember on the RV7A tie down installation DWG 15A, the W-726 tie down spacer, is that something that should be pre-cut and included in one of the bags or is that spacer fabricated from the AB4-187X1 1/4X12 aluminum stock?
Thanks,SteveL

Good day Steve
It is a part that need to be fabricated from a bar of flat stock. There is enough to make 5 spacers. Dont ask me how I know....

Tie down tricks

Steve
First welcome a d congratulations on getting so far before posting a question on VAF.
A few tricks with the spacers and tie downs.
1. Cleveland sells a kit with three braces and tie down rings. They are already tapped and the rings are red plastic coated.
2. Check the location of the tie down. Vans directions placement ends up with a space between the skin and the tie down. I placed mine so they were basically flush by using a piece of scrap to simulate the skin location.
3. This one is not mine but it's one of the best. Buy some 12" pieces of straight brass tubing from the local hobby store. You want three pieces, three sizes. The OD of the biggest should be the same size as the AN bolt holes. The middle one slides into the big one then a smaller piece slides into the middle piece. The ID of the smallest is about #40. What you end up with is a multi purpose drill bushing for drilling perfectly centered holes. Cut to the lengths you like for drilling and lube each piece with Boelube.
4. When it comes time to drill the skin for the the down, the lines directed by the plans are handy but using a homemade centering pin inserted in the tie down to center punch from the back side, will insure the hole is perfectly centered. It's tricky to do with no access to the top side but you get the idea.

Back