What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

static vent question

simatos

Well Known Member
The static port in the Van's kit uses two pop rivets which go thru the feuselage sides to get to external air. once "popped'" I would expect you would have a squashed 'Shop" head and the idea then is to connect your tubing on this.
Has anyone used this kit and does it work OK?

Thanks G

It's not great, but it works. A little silicone (RTV) around the end of the hose helps. There are a number of aftermarket ports that you can rivet on that either have female NPT threads or hose barbs on them that are nicer. The rivets can work fine, though.

I'm not quite there yet, but my take from the many posts on this subject is that the pop rivet static ports work well as long as you place them per plans. The may have a "cheap" appearance, but the shape of the head and the location seem to combine for a very accurate system over a wide range of speeds.

The SafeAir ports look much more "professional" but I've seen a lot folks that have had to fuss with gluing washers on/around them, or building up special shapes to get them to a desired accuracy over the RV speed range.

I liked the connections of the safe air, but after reading about many problems that might have been associated with the external shape of these, I resorted to a modification.

I cut off the protrusion of the SafeAir and drilled a hole the size of the rivet. After checking dimensions to ensure proper expansion of the rivet shop end, I applied pro-seal to ensure good sealing and installed the rivet through the modified SafeAir pieces. Here is a picture of the modified piece. I think I got the best of both - the external shape ad aerodynamics of the rivet, and the internal connections of the SafeAir.

IMG_0681.JPG

YMMV, so this just presents what I did with the apparent dilemma. What facts that are available seem fuzzy regarding the "perfection" of the rivet, but this eliminates the static error risks to that potential failure, but not to others.

When I installed the Vans static kit in my RV-6 (10 years ago) I wanna say the instructions specified to only partially set the pop rivet. Then remove the center shank. This leaves a nice protrusion on the inside which mates perfectly with the plastic tubing supplied in the kit. Works fine. My only complaint is the rivets themselves are susceptible to corrosion. I occasionally park my airplane outside on trips.

The static port in the Van's kit uses two pop rivets which go thru the feuselage sides to get to external air. once "popped'" I would expect you would have a squashed 'Shop" head and the idea then is to connect your tubing on this.
Has anyone used this kit and does it work OK?

Thanks G

Oh- be sure to install the static port in the location listed on the RV7 drawing, not the hand drawn one what comes with the rivets. That is the old RV6 location and not for the 7.

wow, excellent you guys, appreciate hearing back so quick. I have this problem where I look a stuff on the project and think I can do it better then fritter away tons of time trying. then end up following the plans anyway, ever happen to you guys?? Just gonna stay on task and keep pounding, Thanks G

Back