What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 aerobatics

I will try to do one and let you know! I think it will be ok for the plane with inverted fuel and oil and everything and I can't see how it could stress the structure. What's your opinion on that issue?

Thks,
Jo

Double hammer

I would be leery of doing a double hammer in an RV. I had a highly modded Christen Eagle with a 540 turning 2800 RPM. It would do a double hammer. The second rotation evolves some backward movement. Because of this I would hesitate doing one in a RV or you may see a departure of the rudder or elevator.

Regular hammer is 180 degrees (1/2 turn) of yaw rotation. Double hammer is 1-1/2 turns.

Rob Holland does a nice double hammer at 1:13 here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztLxPCoGc5s

Good double hammers require a lot of rudder, power, and a little technique. I don't think an RV would do them well at all due to limited rudder. But I can't imagine in reality you could actually stand the airplane back up vertically well enough to actually get a good backwards slide going and cause any damage. That said, I would not recommend trying it in an RV. I think what would happen is that you'd do a little less than 270 degrees of rotation and the airplane would stop yawing and start rolling left and then flop around until the engine was pointed downward.

Tad Sargent actually nailed it in post #2. Most double hammers I've seen break the plane of yaw around 270 degrees of rotation, then the airplane rolls left a bit and to varying degrees looks a little like a spin through the remaining 270 degrees of rotation.

I can get it somewhat close in the Pitts, but it's still not perfectly on plane for the last 270. I shot this in the S-1S. Original small factory rudder. Kicked a little positive on the upline, a little early, and then full forward stick after 180 degrees of pivot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKSoZv8xUCQ&list=UUm9cBvavbT4j6vReBu9H8Qg

Last edited:
Back