What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Angels Landing Hike: Zion National Park

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
It all started with an invitation from John Allen on the SoCal RV list for people to join him and his son Nathan in their hiking trip to Zion National park to hike Angels Landing. (more)

As I'm a regular visitor to Zions................

I got a kick out of your comment regarding Angels Landing... :)

"If you ever visit this park I urge you to make the short hike to the top. "

So, how short is short? :D

L.Adamson
Well I made that comment a few years ago when I was younger and it was based mostly on experience of quite a few years before that when I was younger yet.

Even at my now advanced age, I think it is a not-to-be-missed hike.

Well I made that comment a few years ago when I was younger and it was based mostly on experience of quite a few years before that when I was younger yet.

Even at my now advanced age, I think it is a not-to-be-missed hike.

I agree! IMO, Zion's is one of the most breathtaking and beautiful canyons in the world. But you have to hike it to really know!

We go there every April when temps are lower and it's not as crowded. It can easily get over 100 degrees during the summer months.

L.Adamson

I've never done the Angels Landing hike, but hiking up the river to the Narrows is incredible if you can stand 2 hours of wading through a cold river water with an uneven, rocky bottom known for breaking ankles.

Being at the bottom of a 1,000' tall slot canyon while standing in a 15' wide channel is an unreal experience. The possibility of of a rainstorm somewhere upstream causing a flash flood is a little sobering, though...

I've never done the Angels Landing hike, but hiking up the river to the Narrows is incredible if you can stand 2 hours of wading through a cold river water with an uneven, rocky bottom known for breaking ankles.

Being at the bottom of a 1,000' tall slot canyon while standing in a 15' wide channel is an unreal experience. The possibility of of a rainstorm somewhere upstream causing a flash flood is a little sobering, though...
It is a fantastic hike. The two hour figure would mean 1 hour upstream and 1 hour back down.

I once made the entire hike from top to bottom and it was the longest day of my life. I started at about sunrise and was done way after dark. I still remember the struggle to get up to my second story apartment that night. It is not so much the distance as the effort of walking in water on slippery stones all day.

And yes, the flash flood risk is serious. One of my co-workers at Cedar City was involved in a trip where there was loss of life due to flooding.

It is a fantastic hike. The two hour figure would mean 1 hour upstream and 1 hour back down.QUOTE]

Well, I misled people there. It is two hours upstream in the best of conditions (low water) and pushing pretty hard. Going downstream is much faster. On the best of days, the entire hike is probably at least 3 hours.

In higher water, it could take far longer.

But who is counting when you're having fun... ;-)

RE:Zion RV Flyin!!!!!

After reading these posts it dawned on me .......I bet there are a bunch of RVers that would love to have a flyin here in the desert SW......So here is my suggestion. Either next April or late Sept. or early Oct we have a group RVer flyin /hike/sight seeing/relaxing/RV talk/food/food/flying the area/.......etc....etc. oh I forgot to mention Mesquite/Las Vegas side trips for more food,site seeing, gambling:eek:......

Great airports (SGU/CDC/1L8/67L.....), wonderful accomadations, fun of every type in every direction!!!!!!!!The big ditch to the south, fantastic Zions/Bryces/Capital Reef to the east/Lake Powell/Sedona for a quick breakfast run.........on and on...and on!!!!!!!:D

If interested either email me directly, or here on the forum and if there is interest I will get the ball a rolling.

Finally if you are ever in the Saint George area please call as I love talking RV to great folks and especially love to see RV aircraft and the peolple that fly them.

Frank @ SGU RV7A Engine/FWF STUFF
435-632-6895 [email protected]

Back