What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EAB Panel: What would you do?

txaviator

Well Known Member
First off, no, I am not rich! However, I have previously set aside money for a second 10" Skyview display in my E-AB RV-12. I haven't ordered the second screen yet, but was looking for input.

So in theory, I would have two of the 10" displays and really nothing else. Note: power consumption is not an issue. I have plenty of output with the Jabiru.

If you were going E-AB, would you roll with the two 10's? Or would you just use the included 10" Skyview, and use some traditional gauges over on the co-pilot side? I doubt I'd ever use the glovebox, so lets assume that the right side of the panel is simply a blank canvas. I'm still not fully sold on the iPad being real visible for me, so even though I have one, I'm not looking at that as an option for this discussion.

I appreciate any/all input. Thanks!

Well, for starters, others have found that one 10 inch is all you will need, because you can see it from either side.. I considered another Skyview just for Texas bragging rights and such, but shelved the idea. I was flying right seat in an RV9 yesterday, it had a little old D10 over on the pilot side, and I was able to see enough of it to fly well. I had planned on an altimeter or airspeed over there for backup, but decided instead on a Dynon D1, since it fills one of the holes just fine. The D1, my IPad, and my cell phone gives me LOTS of backup, only missing airspeed with all that, but I can still see out the windows.

Here is another question which is related.

Over here the Dynon/Jeppeson mapping isn't as comprehensive as that on the Garmin 695.

The combination of a 7"Skyview and a 695 would be worth looking at perhaps ?

I know the 795 is newer but I am hearing reports of problems because it is touch screen - thump, bump, turbulent air and you can't hit the right bit !

Further to last........

Still worth considering

http://www.airgizmos.com/iPad-mini-Panel-Dock_p_51.html

Last edited:
Thanks, Don.

If I went with dual 10's, I was thinking all gauges / readouts on one screen, and then the other screen is completely dedicated for GPS / NAV / TRAFFIC.

I know it sounds like overkill in a tiny panel, but........... :confused: It would sure look slick.

Might want to consider

Gary,
You also may want to consider "MyGoFlight Sight Line Display". Not yet available to buy but you can sign up for updates. Suppose to be sun light readable, can take the heat and can remotely display apps (from iPAD or other devices). That way you can take advantage of all the apps that are being written for tablets. You can then have moving map, synthetic vision, Xavion SV with emergency steering to an AP, backup sensors connected to you pitot/static, ect, ect,. Lots of reasonably priced good stuff.

Bob Kibby (N712BK-150 hrs)

I'm a thinking I'd go J-3 simple steam gages, with an angled mount on the right side for some sort of removable tablet, that could be readily replaced and/or updated as the technology evolved. Independent autopilot, radio, xpdr.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Personally, my iPad has climbed from a nice toy and an adjunct to paper maps, to a full-fledged stand-alone navigation tool. You'll find many favorable opinions here on VAF with most people having a favorite app; I like WingX and SkyCharts Pro.

So don't neglect the iPad - it's a very powerful, easy-to-use tool, if you can locate it where you can actually see it.

Also, I use my glove box a lot more than I thought I would. It's very handy in-flight storage: sunglasses, Leatherman tool, extra AAA batteries, junk like that. Just sayin'....

Dave

I am anxiously awaiting a price on that myself Bob. Sure could be the real answer to the only IPad problem.
Gary,
You also may want to consider "MyGoFlight Sight Line Display". Not yet available to buy but you can sign up for updates. Suppose to be sun light readable, can take the heat and can remotely display apps (from iPAD or other devices). That way you can take advantage of all the apps that are being written for tablets. You can then have moving map, synthetic vision, Xavion SV with emergency steering to an AP, backup sensors connected to you pitot/static, ect, ect,. Lots of reasonably priced good stuff.

Bob Kibby (N712BK-150 hrs)

FWIW, I installed a few steam gauges - Alt, ASI, compass, vintage clock (useful plus cool factor). No power required, familiar gadgets that I don't need a ring binder instruction manual for, easily visible from the right seat, and they look at home in the panel. If they plus a handheld VHF radio, mini-iPad and the view through the canopy aren't enough to get me out of trouble, then I'm somewhere where I shouldn't be in the first place.

You might want to look at the IFly 720 GPS by Adventure Pilot.
http://ifly.adventurepilot.com/
They are having a OSKOSH special right now.
I have the model 700 right now but hope to upgrade when I get my RV-12 finished. They have a docking station that you can mount in the panel.
It has a 7 inch screen and can also be connected and run an auto pilot.

It's just another option.
Terry

Panel thoughts

Gary, just one more data point (nothing more):

I believe the Skyview system (including the Dynon transponder, mapping, etc.) as Van's provides it is a great package. I value the ADSB features (all of them, but especially traffic info) and the auto pilot. I would spend the money for those instead of on a second screen.

Actually, I wonder "why" about a second screen for a VFR plane like the RV12. For backup, I consider the IPAD and a handheld radio (with headset adapter) to be entirely adequate. By the time you get ten hours in the plane you will be able to fly it by "feel" and find your way with the IPAD.

To me the benefits of EAB would be:

1. A cheaper ELT
2. If not doing lights, making a more flexible switch/fuse arrangement than Van's has provided.
3. Some other engine if you REALLY do not like the Rotax.

So far (30 hours), I am happy with the ELSA approach.

Dual 10" Skyview would be penultimate. If Vans had offered that I would have installed it initially. Now a year after flying behind the single 10" I am happy with just that and may not add the 2nd. You would likely fly the dual setup with an 80% PFD /20% engine on the left screen, and 100% map on the right screen. I would see that as ideal. I normally fly 40-40-20 PFD-Map-Engine on one screen. Compare the screen area of a 40% slice on the Skyview for map or pfd compared to a G3X allocation! Skyview is a bargain.

I'm planning on a second Skyview screen. My wife wants one in front of her! I'm getting all the bells and whistles so the second screen should top it off nicely.

I'll also have an iPad in there as well.

Bob

Back