What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EarthX battery terminal size

NTex

Well Known Member
Anyone install EX680 model battery?

Want to confirm I have all my terminals accounted for before I put my order in.

Literature says M6 bolt so ~0.25 inches.

So a 0.25 inch yellow (10 AWG wire) will work, correct?

The folks on the phone nor the install manual have this info, but surely someone else has worked this out and can double check my work.

Thanks in advance
Chris

Same as Odyssey

I replaced an Odyssey PC680 with an EX900 using the same wires. The EX900 is physically the same as the EX680. A 1/4 inch ring terminal should work fine. You should be aware that the EX batteries will draw all of the current available from the alternator right after the engine start. In other words, that number 10 wire will be carrying 60+ amps for a minute or so.

If this is to be your main battery you'll want a much bigger wire (like AWG #2) to carry the starter current.

What Bob said.

I'd strongly encourage you to sign up for the Aeroelectric List email list, and get the Aeroelectric Connection book. You can buy a hard copy, or download for free.
https://matronics.com/aeroelectric/Catalog/AECCatalog.html
or,
http://www.aeroelectric.com/Book/AEC_R12A.pdf

Read the book before ever running a wire.

There's a lot more that goes into sizing wires than the diameter of the connector. If you're just starting out wiring a plane, please do some research. If you don't, you could at best cause yourself a lot of grief, and potentially risk your life.

Sign up on the Matronics Aeroelectric Connection email list & gain access to a *lot* more knowledge and experience than you'll ever see here, when it comes to electrical/electronic issues in a/c.

Charlie

edit: Should have pointed out, the issue isn't charging current. You could probably 'get away with' using 10awg for charging; that wire is typically quite short if the battery is on the firewall. But starting will draw *hundreds* of amps. You might not get enough voltage at the starter to spin the engine, but you'll almost certainly get enough current to melt the wire.

Aeroelectric...Aeroelectric...Aeroelectric......

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the replies! VAF is a great resource.

I failed to mention this is for my backup battery that will not have any starting function. The main battery has the appropriate wire size.
Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for the replies! VAF is a great resource.

I failed to mention this is for my backup battery that will not have any starting function. The main battery has the appropriate wire size.
Thanks again!

Both those batteries need to be of the same type then - you can't (or can't for very long anyway) mix lead-acid and lithium-type batteries on the same bus.

Back