What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

List Your Serial Number here!

Kit #140208

So, after a year of planning, preparing, researching, dreaming and talking to my wife (very supportive, I am very lucky), the tail for kit #140208 left the factory yesterday on its way to the frozen landscape of New Jersey.

Let the adventure begin...

Hey Julio,

Welcome to the club. You'll enjoy unpacking that box. The wife and I inventoried ours together and it went pretty fast, especially considering the amount of stuff in there!

Thanks everyone. Now start the million and one questions! :D Very excited to have access to this online community.

Kit #140210

Hello Everyone, I'm a little late listing, but two weeks ago another RV14 empennage arrived in the frozen white wasteland of New Jersey. Serial number #140210. Mine is the 14A nose wheel. The create arrived in great shape (Old Dominion) and all is there.
After inventorying, I spent a week reading through the many primer war threads. I made my decision and it's a secret. I don't need to keep second guessing myself. :p
I will try not to ask to many dumb answered already questions. This is my first kit and quite a large expensive one, but I probably only have one kit in me. I have also learned from my 58 years, is that, you need to get what you want the first time. You'll never be satisfied and end up spending more money.
Thanking you for your help in advance. Mark

Mark Wilchacky
Model RV14A
Serial #140210
Voorhees NJ

Don't kid yourself Mark. I thought I only had one kit in me as well when I started my RV-3 back in 1987. This RV-14A I'm building is my ninth RV. RV building can be addictive and you never know where it will lead you.

RV-14a serial number 140209

I too have been lurking around the VAF forum for some time now. It is time to come out of the shadows. My first kit is scheduled to arrive March 16. Thank you to all of you ?early adopters? blazing the trail and documenting your RV-14 work in such exquisite detail.

Greg Novotny
Ret DAL/NWA/Former USCG
Gig Harbor, WA
EAA 326
RV-14a serial number 14209
1st time Builder accepting any and all input
VAF dues gratefully paid Feb 2015

?Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment?. Wiley Post

Welcome to the AirForce

and congrats on your new kit. This is a good place to read and learn and I have made it my habit to troll about a bit myself before each chapter.

EAA 1000 benches are rocking. I love mine and wonder why I did not have a set 25 years ago. I got an DRDT 2 and I will leave you to the forums on tools. I went for an Avery set since I either could not find my dads stuff or it was so old and out of repair to be servicable (except some of the awesome bucking bars I found).

This kit is amazing and for a firstie it has been a joy. The plans format is awesome. Again welcome aboard.

I too have been lurking around the VAF forum for some time now. It is time to come out of the shadows. My first kit is scheduled to arrive March 16. Thank you to all of you ?early adopters? blazing the trail and documenting your RV-14 work in such exquisite detail.

Good luck former NWA commuter roomie. Friend and I cranked out an RV-4 in one year. Beat that!

Caveat: the wings were already done by Art Chard.:D

My brother-in-law was going to buy a RV year and a half back and really liked the 14. The RV14 had just been out a little while and he was smart enough to know after doing his homework that it would take too long so he went with a RV7. I'm building the the RV7 for him and I have enjoyed it so much that "MY" RV14 (212) has just been uncreated/inventoried and resting peacefully in the hanger. Got empennage and quick build wings with no damage during shipment thanks to Vans changing shippers! Go with ABF. Crates where is perfect condition. Our Garmin duel G3X/GTN750 IFR certified composite prewired panel for 7 will be here from Stein next week. She is 80% complete.

I'm in hi gear on the 7 because my brother-in-law has bought about 8 grand worth of tools to build his 7 and says I can't use them on my 14 till his 7 is finished! Ha. He owns the hanger too. Ah, it will be so nice when I start my vertical stab to actually know what I'm doing.....maybe. Boy, plans look nice! Sure like the ability to do searches on PDF plans:)

Welcome to VAF Lloyd

Welcome to VAF Lloyd. I'm envious that you are working on your brother-in-laws 7 and now have your RV-14 kit to start. Maybe after Sun-N-Fun when my wonderful wife sits in the RV-14 she'll say get started...happy wife, happy life.
Cheers,
George

Thanks Ross. Boy, you nailed my biggest problem building an RV. After 38 years of marriage to a wonderful women if I hear "When are you coming home from the hanger" one more time I think I'm going to blow a gasket on all cylinders.

RV7 would be flying months ago if.........my lawyer just told me to shut the heck up! Can't wait to pound some rivets on "my" plane. Going to back rivet everything possible. No lake effect!

Got my builders No. a couple weeks ago while visiting Vans after a nice holiday to USA for Oshkosh. Took a test flight in the RV-14A at Aurora, and.......
ordered the kit.

Builder No. 140239

AVERY

Hmmmmmm... I think the kit arrival is going to beat the tools. Does Avery usually send stuff out promptly?

Kit #140223.

Prepare workspace(i.e.:clean-up disgusting mess!), research/shop/buy tools, build tables, start emp. kit, research/shop/buy more tools, build more tables, Vertical Stab. complete, research/shop/buy more tools, modify table(s), rudder almost complete.
Pretty steep learning curve but I'm catching on! Thanks to Sam and Mark (multiple offenders each) for their assistance and guidance!

2015 Dues Happily Paid!

Kit # 140243 assigned last week. Empennage kit to ship this week before Labor Day.

Thanks to Ken at Vans for the nice factory tour and demo flight in the 14A the week before.

"Pre-Owned" serial 140174

I purchased pre-owned empennage kit 140174 early August 15. No work other than kit inventory had been done.
Here Goes:)

#140260 ordered last week, just waiting for the tail light kit before it gets shipped.

Help ... what have we let ourselves in for?

Welcome to the club!

I'm well into the tail and it's been quite an enjoyable learning experience for me so far.

Jumping in with both feet

I was assigned serial number 140266 today. When the box arrives I don't think it will fit under the tree, though.

Christmas present.

I was assigned serial number 140266 today. When the box arrives I don't think it will fit under the tree, though.

I think you should try to put it under the tree. I bet it would be a front page picture on this site.😀

A little something under the tree

This is important enough to take the tree to it...

Yeah, I don't think that's going to fly too well. You do bring up a good point, though. I've got a small 3' cheapo tree in the basement that I used to take to the office. hmmm...

Well, we jumped in as well....

Ordered 2 12's at the same time just for a quick fill in project to be going on with :D

Welcome aboard. This will be fun and more than meet the regs for building for education and recreation!!! Now there are three flying and it should pick up soon and someday there will be 274!!!

Long time reader / researcher, first post on this site. Empennage kit arrived this afternoon, 140277! Took a day of leave so I can inventory it tomorrow...

Having a great time building.... So far

Ser # 140257
Going good so far. Vertical stabilizer and rudder complete. Having a blast. Kit is very well done by Vans. Instructions are great... So far.
And the kit is going together smoothly
Hope it continues

Getting Started

Ordered after demo ride at Oshkosh; serial #140329. So many questions, so many different answers... :) Going together well so far; test-fit VS skin this morning; perfect. Need to decide what primer to use and what to prime, and get that squared away before assembly.

#140273 resides in the UK.

Full flat pack taildragger arrived just before our glorious exit from the EU vote !

Fuselage at one shop, emp at another, wings will be done once the fuselage comes to ours after we have completed our 2 RV12 kits.

No rest for the wicked.......

:D

#140322, ordered at Oshkosh, received 8-16-16. V stab and rudder underway. First time builder, learning something new every day...

Hello, all,

I've received the tail kit for RV-14A, number 140318. My building partner and I have gotten through the vertical stab and are on the rudder.

Can't thank the community and Doug enough for giving me the tools to tackle this!

Regards,
Logan

Back