What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying over NASA Space Shuttle Landing Facility

Glad to hear NASA is allowing it again.
That experience is a great object lesson in optical illusions.
Looks like you're on short final from about 10 miles out!

You are right Dave. Looks like I am standing still for 90 seconds to. It is 15,001 ft x 300 ft. Its a long-wide runway.

You should see it at 300 knots on a 19 degree glide slope. Looks about right then.... ;)

But yup, I've flown to shuttle runways in light planes, and logged cross country time from one end to the other!

You should see it at 300 knots on a 19 degree glide slope. Looks about right then.... ;)

But yup, I've flown to shuttle runways in light planes, and logged cross country time from one end to the other!

LOL, very few I imagine have experienced it both ways. :)

Very nice! Brings back memories of when I (briefly) worked for Hennessey Performance. We hit 270.4 mph on that runway in the Venom GT. The NASA guys were great ambassadors, and what a feeling to walk down the same hallway as the shuttle astronauts. So sobering to see the huge picture of Challenger immediately to the left...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWAavCjVQvM

Last edited:
Paul, I think I am going to modify my RV for a 300kn through the runway! LOL. I would have love to have done that. but...

You are right Dave. Looks like I am standing still for 90 seconds to. It is 15,001 ft x 300 ft. Its a long-wide runway.

Wow, so about 300 RV's could take off from grass to grass across the width, simultaneously!

This gets added to my list of places to go when flying, back to work!!

Paul,

I worked on the SLF PAPIs for a number of missions.

Was an awesome experience to watch the Orbiter on short final go directly overhead. The sound it made was incredible, just from the air being pushed out of the way as it went by was very loud.

I had so many great experiences out there at KSC and they paid me for it! :D

Back