What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gust/Control lock rec for -8

Sig600

Well Known Member
Looking for a control lock for an RV-8 with the fixed rudder peddals. Anyone have design ideas or know anyone that sells one? Not sure the anti-splat will work as the rudders aren't tubular like on other RV's.

Pat, I've found that the simplest solution (nothing extra to carry) for the ailerons/elevator is the pilot's lap belt. So far, in almost nine years of flying and parking all over the country, the rudder has locked well by just rolling the tailwheel straight and letting the pin lock it. If I felt I needed more, I'd use a lock that slips into the balance slot at the top of the fin - but haven't run into needing more.

In general, I have found that places that generally have a lot of wind usually have it coming from the same direction, and they usually have tie downs that face it.

What do you use at the top to lock the rudder? I was thinking of fabricating something to slip in there that would screw together and basically pinch the rudder/vert stab together, but I can't come up with a design that won't potentially damage the paint. My 8 has pretty tight clearance in the gaps.

That is my main concern, is the rudder getting banged around in an overnight storm or gusty winds.

Pat, I've found that the simplest solution (nothing extra to carry) for the ailerons/elevator is the pilot's lap belt. So far, in almost nine years of flying and parking all over the country, the rudder has locked well by just rolling the tailwheel straight and letting the pin lock it. If I felt I needed more, I'd use a lock that slips into the balance slot at the top of the fin - but haven't run into needing more.

In general, I have found that places that generally have a lot of wind usually have it coming from the same direction, and they usually have tie downs that face it.
Second Paul's recommendation. When it's really gusty, I'll use rope to tie both sides of the rudder horn (very securely) back to the ground anchor point.

For what it's worth...

I decided to go with two "hairpin locks" for the rudder, one on each side. They're made of 3/16 stainless with a locking plate and red cam-lock strap as a flag. For these I drilled holes in the rudder stop and the bellcrank on each side. It's a little tricky to bend them to both fit at the same time. I only had to make three to get two that worked.

The others are for the elevators and ailerons.

The elevator locks attach to the counterbalances with a small red aluminum carabiner. You could make one of these for the rudder as well. These are padded with fuzzy self stick velcro.

The aileron locks latch onto the aileron hinge brackets...

Sorry, no pics installed but a search should bring up some...

Lots of options out there...

Last edited:
If I had the materials at hand I might be tempted, however this used up the 3/16 rod I had and cam lock straps seem to be getting hard to find for some reason.

Maybe some other enterprising person will offer...

Alan - another potential product for you??

Good luck...

Rudder lock

I simply drilled 2holes one in rudder stop one on rudder horiz bar ( that hits the stop) then used a .250 rod bent 90 deg, each end so it looks like a U but with sq corners safetied a red flag on. ( its about 6 in long)
Align the rudder straight put one in each hole, works great cheap one hour labor to make and paint red, then for the elev and ail I just use a bungee cord hook one end to rudder pedal wrap once around stick other end to other rudder pedal also works good.
If you want send me an email to [email protected] and I will send a pic of both.

On my first trip where the plane spent its nights in the elements (this past oshkosh) I went with Paul's method of tying the stick back and letting the tailwheel lock down the rudder. Sunday afternoon we had a storm roll through that blew a bunch of the Portolets over. I'm not sure what the wind gusts were but it was a lot. I was standing in the forum building nervously watching my plane weather the storm and none of the control surfaces were having difficulty. I'll stick with that method from now on. Easy, works well and it's free.

Back